STI Staccato C Review

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by tgoldie00, May 26, 2019.

1. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    First and foremost, a big thanks to Dan at BBP for getting the pistol in my hands so quickly and hassle-free. From start to finish, everything was prompt, polite, and exactly as described.

Now to the meat and potatoes. There isn’t a whole lot out there about these. A few video reviews, but not a lot of forum chatter. I was at the point I wanted to look into something in the “2011” direction, but didn’t want a double stack as I wanted a new carry piece. Obviously the Staccato C threads that needle by giving the shooter 2011 design and construction methodology (which in the frame is very much it’s own beast) but sticking with a single-stack. Bonus is that the pistol takes standard Commander sized 9mm mags, and comes with 2 8-rounders in the bag.
    [​IMG]
    The pistol I purchased is the Blackout DLC version, and it is exactly as advertised. The only non-black anything that is visible is the American Flag engraving on the frame. Even the barrel is fully coated externally. It looks fierce...personally I love it.

Fitment is top notch. No getting around it. Lockup is tight, the slide feels like glass when cycling, and there is 0 play open or shut. None whatsoever. The beaver tail is well fit and doesn’t rattle, the safety is positively one of the best I’ve personally felt. Easy engagement, no grit, no over travel whatsoever. The trigger has a crisp break and short reset, with no creep to be found. It is a great “1911” SA feel and one can tell some time was spent there. The only interesting note on build quality is the hammer articulation is a little gritty. Do I care? Not really. I won’t spend much time outside of cleaning manually manipulating the hammer honestly, so as long as the pistol functions (and it does) then it’s fine by me. Physically the hammer is good to go, so I am guessing this will work out as the pistol breaks in. One note about other reviews...some mention has been made of the take-down tabs (for the recoil assembly) that are provided and how much of a pain takedown is...and my only feedback there is that anyone who has cleaned a Colt Defender would know exactly what is going on there and won’t need any tabs or additional tools to break down the pistol.

As for shooting, it is exceptionally flat. There is some muzzle flip but it’s fairly minimal. The Dawson sights are easy to find when presenting, and my copy shoots to a 6:00 hold at 25 and 50 feet respectively (poi is just above the top of the blade at both distances). To say the pistol is accurate is an understatement. My friend and I were regularly punching the same hole at 25 feet, and under 3in groups at 50, even during quicker shooting. Our pacing was roughly 1 round per second to second and a half, enough time to reset and get a good sight picture again.

200 rounds went through the pipe today. It was a mix of Federal 115, Fiocci 115, and S&B 124s. The pistol didn’t malfunction at all. I was really taken a back by how much fun this pistol is to shoot. This one is definitely a keeper. Anyone on the fence here, get your hands on one....you won’t be disappointed. I’ll be back out with mine tomorrow...no doubt about it.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    TG00,

They do perform well. If I remember, this was 25 yards.

[​IMG]

RN47, ronin11, Whiten and 3 others like this.

3. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    Those are very impressive groups at 25 yards.

4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have a bunch of STI’s. The Staccato-C is just as good as the rest.

I’m very happy with my C. I’m a fan of well done grips, the stock grip in my opinion was sub par especially since I have well over 12 guns with STI’s Costa or DVC grips. They are done for STI by Extreme Shooters. It really is a night and day difference. I just got back in country last night so I’ll get a full review soon but below is a pic of a stock Staccato grip worked over by Jason and team over at Extreme Shooters. [email protected].

4901421E-90C6-482F-9F0F-01AE1590DE2F.jpeg

Whiten, bnaples, AF_Gunner and 3 others like this.
  5. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    That is my next move for sure. I want a bit more purpose. At the range I shoot in gloves so it’s neither here nor there...but my intent is to carry this so I want more purchase. I’ll look forward to your review!

6. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    Today’s target (or one of them):

Another 150 through the pipe today. I was messing around a bit early on just putting the pistol through it’s paces, so admittedly some of my other targets were more scattered.

Below is:
    25 rounds of 115gr Blazer Brass
    45 foot distance
    (The inner ring I made with sharpie is 3in). I’m not very proud of the flyer of course (and it was the first shot in this series) but otherwise, going two-handed unsupported, I feel like this is A-OK.

Pacing was moderate. 1.5-2 seconds between rounds. Not fast, plenty of time to reset and get good aim.

I ran a box of 124gr S&B and I feel like the pistol likes that a little more. Just an impression, no science behind it.

[​IMG]

ronin11, Old Sea Dragon and BBP like this.
  7. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Nice review, great shooting.
    Hearing about the magazine compatibility really makes this an interesting future option
    Thank you

tgoldie00 likes this.
  8. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    I ran 2 Wilson ETM 9 rounders in addition to the OEM 8 round magazines, all without issue.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    Very nice gun!!!

tgoldie00 likes this.
  10. Parausa

Parausa Active Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Are the Wilson ETM 9 rounders flush fit in the grip?

tgoldie00 likes this.
  11. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    Not quite. They fill the well, but protrude slightly. Perhaps 1/4in.

12. Parausa

Parausa Active Member

Apr 7, 2019
  13. Maxfield911

Maxfield911 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    any update on a review? also is there a reason you went with the costa vs the dvc stipple?

14. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    The only factory stipple offered presently is what is on mine. This is not to say other options aren't out there aftermarket, but I have not pursued any yet. I find the stipple to be fine, some think it is a little less grippy than would be ideal. I don't take any exception to it, and for a carry piece, it is smooth enough to let clothing flow easily around it.

As to additional talking points, I have 600 rounds through the pipe now (I have been a bit distracted with a couple of other unanticipated rifle purchases as of late) and still no issues of any kind. The pistol cycles my personal favorite PD ammo without issue (I use Sig V-Crown 147). The coating on the barrel is holding up in the typical lockup points, which was unanticipated, but nice to preserve the blackout look of the pistol.

I also purchased a Garrett Ind. Silent Thunder Fusion (I am a lefty and carry at the 7-8:00 position) and find it to be PERFECT for the Staccato C. Hold and angle are great for purchase after defeating garments, user adjustable of course, light...yet stays stationary with a good belt and doesn't cause me to feel hot-spots. It is good enough to conceal under a baggy t-shirt or Polo style shirt without issue. I loved it so much I ordered one for my Sig X-Compact, which due to its size and thickness....is tough to conceal.

15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’ve been crazy with work the past couple months. I’m running multiple sites at the same time and often out of town for a day or two.

The new grip texture is awesome, it sticks in the hand now instead of slips.

I went with the Costa/TreeBark stipple as it’s a bit more grippy to me than the DVC stipple, not drastically so but still better to me. I have a bunch of guns with the ES grip treatment, some doubles of the same model with both the DVC and Costa stipple. I’ve shot them side by side. They’re both fantastic and a huge improvement over a stock grip.

AF_Gunner likes this.
  16. spankreasy

spankreasy Active Member

Apr 3, 2015

Damn. I never had any interest in the staccato c because of the grips but this definitely changed my mind lol. What do the new grips run for? Hmmm now I’m in trouble..

17. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’m not sure on the price as mine was done as the prototype but I believe Jason is charging around $100, the same as the standard grip service.

18. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Nice review and shooting, OP. Enjoy your gun.

tgoldie00 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted