STI Staccato Short Review

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Descartian, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    i just wanted to post my experience with my new STI Staccato C in 9mm. I ran about 250 rounds my first outing.

There have been a few reviews that cover the basics so I’ll keep this short.

Fit and finish: Everything is nice and tight, no rattles and barrel lockup is nice and tight yet no sticking. Mag catch issue, I’ll cover below.

Accuracy/Speed: The gun was was accurate. Very small groups when I was trying. I focus more on controlled rapid fire accuracy, double taps through 5 shot strings. In my opinion anyone can shoot the bullseye out of a target with one eye closed and taking their time. I focus on what (I think) a real world shooting would be like, both eyes open, either draw or pickup off the bench, very quick target acquisition, controlled rapid fire into a target, 7-10 yards is my preferred range. The Staccato C did very well. It was my first time with the gun and I need to get used to the slimmer grips but I was able to consistently and quickly keep everything in the A-zone. I would be be comfortable using it safely in a true defensive situation.

Reliability: Around 250 rounds with out a single hiccup. No stove pipes, FTF or FTE, just reliable shooting. This is great for a tight fitting pistol.

Pluses/Minuses: Overall great design. The pistol is very easy to shoot and recoil is minimal. Recoil is especially soft considering the light weight of the gun. It comes with a factory textured grip. I personally prefer something with more grip, I’m a big fan of the Costa and DVC grips that Extreme Shooters modifies for STI, I’m also a big fan of skate tape or applied Silica Carbide. I have large hands and I like something that will “stick” in my hands. I’ll be sending this grip off to Jason at Extreme to see what he can do, preferably the Costa/Treebark texture. Mag catch... I’ve heard of 2 other owners that have issues with a sticky mag catch. Count me in as #3. It would be an easy fix but I’ll be sending this one back to STI under warranty.

Overall: I would definitely recommend the gun. I have no regrets in buying it. I think it is definitely worth the MSRP.

MHarvey, Nemain, IANative and 4 others like this.
  2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Worth the MSRP, definitely.
    Grip texture was an issue for me as well. I sent mine off for work on Wednesday, should have it back soon. The mag catch issue is a simple fix that they should start double checking during final inspection.

ImperialBlade likes this.

3. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Nice review!

I heard that Dan @BBP had a cancellation from his initial preorder and has one available :)

Nemain, LPRoad and ImperialBlade like this.
  4. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Is Dan talking about Dan in the 3rd person? Dan likes....

BBP and ImperialBlade like this.
  5. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Guys,

Did you send the whole pistol in to have the grip modified, or did you remove the grip? Reason why I ask is I thought the included paperwork said that removing the grip voids the warranty.

6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    If it makes you feel any better, my STI DVC Carry HOST has the sticky mag release as well. Was going to Google the fix before sending it back

7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Sent in the grip and frame, minus the slide. It does come with that paperwork/ warning.

8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    For Extreme Shooters you just send in the plastic grip.

9. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    @Descartian,
    Can you post some pics comparing the Staccato C with a DVC Carry or Costa VIP?
    I have been looking at picking up one of those, and missed out on a couple, and now I’ve been considering the Staccato C after seeing more about them (even though I think I would prefer the double stack).
    I don’t have any local shops to check them out in person, so I will have to do the best I can with online research.
    Thanks!

10. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’ll get some pics up later this evening. But dimension wise they are very similar except the whole double stack grip.

11. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Here are your comparison pics. I stand corrected. The grip on the DVC Carry is a bit longer. By spec both pistols weigh the same (listed weight) but the Staccato feels less balanced and barrel heavy, I didn’t break out the scale. It is most likely due to the steel frame of the Staccato vs alloy of my non railed DVC.

I threw in one of my favorite little carry STI’s in the mix, an original Ranger in 45. Great carry gun with the same 3.9” barrel but with a Detonics Combat Master sized frame.

Attached Files:

rwschill, MHarvey and Smok3y like this.
  12. pcso13

pcso13 Happiness is a range in your backyard

Nov 25, 2018
    What ammo did you use?

Hoping mine will be here soon!

13. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I usually break in my guns with heavier ammo but I was shooting 115gr as I have a bunch of cases laying around.

pcso13 likes this.
  14. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Thanks man. I really appreciate that. That is a great help. From a concealability standpoint, it confirms that the grip width is basically the difference. Well, that and the weight of the additional ammo.
    As I would prefer it to be my EDC, that is important.
    I also want it to be more fun at the range then my current carry options, so the additional ammo helps there on the DVC.
    This gave me good information to consider.

15. rm2092

rm2092 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Took mine out for the first time yesterday and I had a few stove pipes but I believe its because I'm learning to shoot right handed now, yes I'm a lefty so shooting right handed might be the cause. Going to the range this morning for another round.