STI Tactical 4.0 vs Staccato-P vs Costa VIP

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by firecatwilson, Jan 30, 2019.

1. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Even though the wife is gonna hate me for awhile, I've decided to buy another STI 2011. Now I'm deciding between these three. Your opinions and thoughts are welcome.. Which one and why?

Tactical 4.0

Staccato-P (Tree Bark grip)

Costa VIP

2. donnieo

donnieo New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    i bought the Staccato-C love it,my EDC

firecatwilson likes this.

3. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    In for the info....tough choices there....I haven't shot any of those (yet) or own any of those (yet). I really like the Staccato series....the Costa series are overpriced IMHO just because of someone's name (Costa...who I think is alot of self-marketing hype).

But, I'm open and eager to see what others post...

4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    That’s a tough one. If for carry then the Costa VIP because of the reduced grip. If for range/duty I’d go Tactical. I just like the styling more on the Tactical than the Staccato-P, it’s more traditional.

What’s the purpose of the gun and what caliber are you looking for?

5. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah I didn't want to say anything at first, but I listed them in order of want. I like the Tactical the best, and I'd carry it. I'd pay a 2-300 premium for the Costa. That could be used for a nice holster from Garret Ind. for the Tactical. And I could always remove the slim magwell.

6. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    The Costa is a very nice gun.....

You could always cut the grip on a Tactical down to accept 120mm mags or buy a 120mm grip from Extreme Shooters (Jason has a stash he’s worked over). If you wanted to go really bad ass you could order a SVI 113mm grip and mags for it ($$$).

7. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Purpose
    would be carry and range, wouldn't mind one in .45 but 9mm would probably be best.

8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    If you like 40 I have a great gun for you. A STI VIP (same dimensions as Guardian or DVC Carry) that was worked over and hard hat coated by Severns Custom swith an Extreme Shooters grip. I also have a couple stock VIP’s in 9mm with Extreme Shooter grips if you like the 120mm grip and 3.9” barrel of the DVC Carry. I’d have to check but I believe they are steel framed guns too (31oz unloaded) which make them super soft shooters.

9. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Is it $2-300 nicer than the Tactical?

10. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Ohh yeah and an unfired VIP in 45.

11. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm starting to really like you, but my wife will hate you...

12. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Honestly it was 2-300 nicer than the old Tactical with a stock grip and cerakote finish. Now with the newer but discontinued model with ES grip and DLC, no it is not but it is a significantly lighter gun, I like the slide lightening and short dust cover.

13. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Understandable. I have the same problem with my Marauder. Haven't been able to get it out and the finish is already wearing thin in spots.

I guess for me I like the full dust cover, I'm an old school full rail TRP guy. That was my first gun I couldn't afford at the time that I lusted after. So these tactical's really please my eyes. I could see the short rail and lighter slide being better for carry.

14. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Costa VIP if you plan on carrying it. I miss mine, I still have a custom made AIWB holster for it. Makes me want to get another to fill it............

C8A72AC5-94A8-43F9-955B-D6DED5935C24.jpeg 3824C7EA-BE45-483F-91A2-085281613B72.jpeg

15. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    I like that trigger!

16. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Bought a Tactical 4.0. Hoping it fit's in well!

Crash83 likes this.
  17. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    firecatwilson:
    I was like you and couldn't make up my mind,so.....First, I got a great deal on a VIP in 9mm. Really liked the pistol.
    Liked it so much I found another great deal on another VIP but this time in 45 acp......
    THEN...I really liked the 4.0 Tactical and lo and behold I got another great deal on a 4.0 Tactical H.O.S.T. So.....
    Now I have all three and am a "Happy Camper"......For now !
    Good Luck and I hope you find what you want, no matter how many that turns out to be.

TR

Crash83, Sango and firecatwilson like this.
  18. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Well I'm at 3 now, the Tactical 4.0, Marauder, and a Range Master. I have some steel targets to set up once the ground thaws out. I have a feeling those targets will get a work out!

Crash83 and Sango like this.
  19. cfl4rat

cfl4rat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    What you really need to add to that list is the Costa Carry Comp! Actually I think Dan @ BBP has one left, as soon as my holster from Carl @ Exodus gun leather gets here it will be my EDC, no questions about it!

BBP and firecatwilson like this.
  20. firecatwilson

Feb 24, 2013
    Wish I could! Don't have that big of a STI kitty right now!