close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

STI Tactical

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Quack, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    So i got the STI Tactical to the range today. I'm at least the 3rd owner of it now, and saw some things that needed to be addressed. First I checked the mags to see if they needed to be tuned. Sure enough like the other STI mags i had to adjust the feed lips and some tuning to the followers. I thought I had spare followers, but I can't find them at the moment. When hand cycling the STI with dummy rounds in the magazine I noticed that one of the mags was probably going to fail to lock on empty. Next I noticed that the ejector was hitting the mags and wasn't held in by a roll-pin. I suspect that the original owner slammed the 140mm mags in to hard and broke the original ejector. Nothing some filing couldn't fix as show in this thread.

So i go to the range today to see if there is anything that i need to work on. I loaded up the mags with 5 rounds each and fired them at an easy pace. All mags fed great, but the one mag that i though wouldn't lock the slide back didn't. This is most likely the chewed up follower that's in that mag.

Next I just load 1 round in the magazine because once of the things i wanted to work on today was slide lock reloads. Same results with that 1 bad mag. Now i wanted to work on the Mozambique Drill (2rds in the torso and 1 in the head). This is where i was having failure to extract after the 2nd or 3rd round. The empty round was partially extracted, while i wasn't planning on it my Mozambique drill now became a clearing a failure drill.

I wanted to see what the accuracy was like. I sent the target out to about 15yards or so and loaded up 10 rounds a mag. I was not disappointed, it's just as accurate as my Edge. The 10rd group will probably have all rounds touching with a better shooter. I was using a 6 o'clock hold on the dot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I'm happy with the gun even though there were some issues. It's a big shame on me for not checking the extractor since it's a used gun and I'm at least the 3rd owner, but it'll be easily fixed.

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Such a cool gun, seems like you are getting it dialed in.

3. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Update: I just looked at the extractor, and it was LOOSE compared to my Edge. tightened it up, so it should be good to go.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice,.......I really like the Tac!

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks!!!

I really like the 2011's. My STI Edge is what started me down the path of expensive 1911's :rofl2:

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  7. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool, Don. Looking forward to running some rounds through it. :thumb:

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    and don't worry, you won't double-tap while blinking with this one. i have the trigger to about 4#. replaced the sear spring that was in there for a Colt sear spring.

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, no more hair triggers please. They may work for him...but not me.

[​IMG]

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I can't wait to try that thing out. Yes, no more 2# trigger on a STI. :whoo:

12. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    just a quick update. went to the range today and it runs 100% now after i tuned the extractor. Now just waiting on the C5 holster for it.

13. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    :thumb: sounds awesome Don

14. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Glad to hear it's running well. :thumb:

How many rounds did you run through it?

Andy

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  16. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Awesome, looks like a nice gun.

17. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Had a C5 a while back for a Baer Monolith. It was a very nice holster and the Baer fit like a glove. You'll like it...............

tw

18. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    c5?

glad its running good! its an awesome gun

19. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    C5 Leather.. http://www.c5leather.com/ Good stuff at pretty good pricing.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted