STI Takedown/Cleaning

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Kadonny, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Kadonny

Kadonny Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I just purchased my first 2 STIs and coincidentally both showed up at my FFL on the same day, so I picked them both up Friday. I got one of the last Tactical HOST 4.0s with the treebark grip and I bought a NIB Staccato C with the single sided safety. I need to snap some pics.

Anyway, how do you guys takedown the recoil master for cleaning and lubing? Do you use the supplied takedown tool? It seems to me as soon as I took off the slide, the whole recoil master system wanted to sort of just pop out the back and slip off the barrel sort of like the old 3rd gen S&W guns. Is is just as easy to depress the spring a little bit and just pull it out the back rather than pushing it all the way forward and snapping the takedown tool to the guide rod? It seems like if you don't keep the slide upside down, the springs want to pop out. Thanks all.

PS: Now just some range time is needed to see how well they shoot.

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I had to use the take down tool

3. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    All of mine I am able to just remove the spring from the rear without the tool.

Kadonny likes this.
  4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    The compacts you can generally remove without the tool. I have a DVC Carry HOST and have never used the $.01 plastic piece of junk to remove it (I really hate that damn thing).
    Full sizes you have to use it. The 45ACP 4.0 Tactical DS needs to use it, but my 9mm 4.0 Tactical DS doesn't.

5. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have quite a few STI’s and I rarely if ever use a take down tool. Just disassemble and reassemble like a standard 1911.

6. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Look on YouTube. I pretty sure it’s there. I do use the tool.

7. Kadonny

Kadonny Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Been there, done that but my practical experience seems to overrule any YouTube experienced takedowns.