Sticky mag

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by nathanotis, Jul 14, 2020.

1. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    In the past week, I've noticed that when I press the mag release, the magazine will begin to drop but stop after about a half an inch of travel. To get the magazine out, I have to pull it with some force. I have found after some trial and error, that the top most round in the magazine is allowed to move slightly forward in the magazine. This is what's causing the hang up. When I slide it back into place, the magazine drops flawlessly (until the round works it's way forward again).

My question is, does this generally indicate a problem with the magazine, or the rounds that I'm using?

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    What caliber? Capacity? Type of mag? more info.

Uncle Bob likes this.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Quick heads up, I just pulled all my 1911s out including the 1911A! and they all move slightly in the mag well to one degree or another (top to bottom). Pistsols are Colt SAI SAI and a non-military Colt. Magazines are: Colt, McCormick 45acp, McCormick 9mm, SAI and Ed Brown (9mm).

Worst problem I had was with the 1911A1, grip screw bushing was protruding just enough to hang up some of the magazines (colts)

4. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    .45, 8 round, one chambered. Type? If you mean manufacturer: it's Rock Island. It worked perfectly for months with ball ammo. I've only noticed the issue since I started using the hollow point self defense rounds (which fed flawlessly, but I didn't drop the magazine at the range unless it was empty).

Tonight I'll load up and test some ball as well as my snap caps and run some drills... Maybe I can answer my own question.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    It's not abnormal for the rounds to bump forward some in the magazine, and I would guess the nose of your bullet is out just far enough to contact the front of the grip frame just below the feed ramp.. You might try a 7 round mag if you have one. As the 8 round mags puts more pressure on the last round and depending on the follower in the mag it isn't that uncommon to have a round bumped forward a little bit. And also to be pointed downward some. That could be forcing the round out of the mag a touch. Which wouldn't necessarily cause feeding issues unless it was extreme or the first round or wo would nose dive and then cause some feeding issues on the first round.

nathanotis likes this.
  6. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    Thanks for the info. I'll report back after some testing this evening.

Integrity Arms likes this.
  7. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    OK... My carry ammo is .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot. This is the ammo that started this discussion, which is to say, it is the first round that cause my magazine to hang up. After dropping the magazine and slapping it back in with vigor, the Speer will stop the mag from dropping all the way down to 6 rounds in the mag. (8 round magazine). I didn't have any failure to drop with 5 or less rounds in the mag.

Next I tried my range ammo, Federal Syntec. . It hangs on 8 and 7 (though very rarely).

I loaded 4 Speer and 4 .45ACp snap caps on top and Snap Caps hung on 8 and pretty regularly on 7. I experienced no failures under 7 rounds.

So are we thinking this is round count or mag issue?

8. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    IMO, it's normal when you chamber a round it will pull the one beneath it slightly forward.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted