1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Hate to say it, but STI is starting to price themselves out of this game with some of these models. There doesn't seem to be a nice in-between model- either $1,999 or over $3k.
They need to remember when John Wick 4 comes out, there'll be a new gun that gets everyone buying it from another vendor.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Do you really think they make all their revenue off a movie gun?
No, they make very little if any. But, that gun has drawn attention to them and they have sold plenty of other platforms because of it. Just like in Part II Kimber sold other 1911s because of it. Not necessarily the ones (as I recall somehow the type of Kimber changed throughout the movie) he used, but it was great marketing for them nonetheless.
Now that STI is getting gov contracts, that will open up new doors. But, they are starting to price themselves into NHC and GCI doublestack price points. And, I own all three brands and can tell you STI doesn’t come anywhere close to the quality of a NHC or GCI DS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The combat Master was not our best selling model...I had already sold more guns to LE/MIL than we had all other models combined.

The majority of our product line is $2500 or under, we only have two models above that.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,252 Posts
@Buck P
Is the new US Marshal special forces gun available outside of the government contract with same slide markings?
RMR version.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw that the 2020 lineup was live last night. Then I saw that the R was still not up, I need to exercise patience for a little while longer... I haven't been interested in a single stack for a long time, but the R is calling to me very loudly. My Staccato P DUO opened my eyes to STI, now I want more. I know that the R is out there, but seeing it on the website will make it more "real". I can't wait to pick one up...

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
The combat Master was not our best selling model...I had already sold more guns to LE/MIL than we had all other models combined.

The majority of our product line is $2500 or under, we only have two models above that.
Please don't misconstrue what I'm saying.
The Combat Master is a marketing tool and I have no doubt carries no serious weight for STI. Plus, I bet you pay Butler a royalty each time they sell just like you did for Costa and anyone else who puts their name on any pistol any company makes.
As to only 2 models above $2,500, that's not even remotely true. There's not a single DVC model that sells for under that amount that I'm aware of. That may be correct on the Staccato line, but certainly not for the whole line up. The least expensive DVC model I've seen still tips the scales at $2,999 and goes up from there.
I am not trying to bash STI (I own 6 of them of which 3 are DVCs). I've owned them long enough to have gone through the trials and tribulations of their QC issues over the years which have now gotten better.
My point being that STI's were a gamer gun (I don't consider this to be a negative) outside of the 4.0 Tacticals. Once you dropped the single stack line, that focus became even more narrow. Now, with agencies buying them, you are hoping to widen the focus more. I've heard the podcasts; subscribe to all the social medias, and so on so I know where STI is trying to go. You want into the SD realm, which again, I fully support. The Staccato line offers some good entry into that arena, but for the DS guns, I think there is a sweet spot of around $1,750 or so that will gobble up far more interest.
Just my $.00125 worth.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Don’t forget paying the John Wick franchise for each gun sold.

The DVC line is ex-communicado so I’m sure Buck is not talking about that line.

as far as STI only producing gamer guns, that could not be further from the truth. I have at least 20 STI carry-guns some ranging from the early 2000’s.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts

as far as STI only producing gamer guns, that could not be further from the truth. I have at least 20 STI carry-guns some ranging from the early 2000’s.
And that's why I said it was a marketing tool. Lots of companies do it outside of gun manufacturers.
What doublestack carry guns from STI do you have, again aside from the Tactial 4.0 line that I already mentioned, that were designed specifically for that role and not gaming?

Reactions: SCS1911

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Falcon, VIP, Guardian, Total Eclipse, DVC Carry, Costa Carry. There have been others but I do not have those models.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I need to shoot an STI one of these days
I just got my "P" (in .45ACP) yesterday and shot it today. The gun is a delight to shoot and the Leopold DPP red dot really allowed me to keep (almost) all my rounds in the head at 25-yards.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Falcon, VIP, Guardian, Total Eclipse, DVC Carry, Costa Carry. There have been others but I do not have those models.
Well, I stand corrected and even own a couple of them.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I don’t believe this is correct at all. Are you implying Lionsgate makes money off Combat master pistols? What John Wick franchise is profiting off each gun sold?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I don’t believe this is correct at all. Are you implying Lionsgate makes money off Combat master pistols? What John Wick franchise is profiting off each gun sold?

I’m not sure who actually owns the franchise but I would guess they paid a handsome sum of money for the movie plug and get residuals on the guns for naming rights and then of course Taran gets his cut for using his parts, his name, the Combat Master name which I believe is part of his line of pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I don't know the financial details if any, but was told by someone knowledgable in the industry how this works:

Movie Producer needs a gadget for his movie. Companies offer their products for free, so it is tit-for-tat. The movie gets their gadget for free, and the company gets free advertisement.

Example: If you look at many, many TV shows and movies, you will see Apple products being used. Apple gives TV and movies their products from free and Apple gets free advertisement when viewers see the Apple logo on the back of the laptops and desktops. When you see an Apple product but do not see the logo, it is because the Producer wanted money (i.e. a bribe) from Apple for the advertising benefit, and Apple said, "No", so the logo is covered by a sticker. He did not go elsewhere for his gadgets.

Unlikely that STI paid the Producer any money, but who knows; he may have gotten a check. I kind of doubt it, as STI is not Apple, and STI's market is *extremely* small.

Reactions: J_o_r_d_o_n
1 - 20 of 35 Posts