1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just checkered a Foster Commander frame.
This is my first in SS, thought the metal might be hard...
But, it was not that bad.
Have only done a few of these so still learning!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
That’s looking pretty good.

One thing I have found helpful is to look at the valleys and try to make perfect squares instead of staring at the points.

Also try taking the verticals and horizontal down equally versus cutting the verticals to full depth first.

·
Christ is my front sight.
825 Posts
The file runs smoother. If you cut deep one way, the file chatters roughly and can skip lines and cause you some issues for sure. It's easier to cut horizontal if the vertical aren't fully cut. I did the same thing in my first. I cut the vertical lines all the way and struggled to keep the horizontal on track. Good job, yours looks well done!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The file runs smoother. If you cut deep one way, the file chatters roughly and can skip lines and cause you some issues for sure. It's easier to cut horizontal if the vertical aren't fully cut. I did the same thing in my first. I cut the vertical lines all the way and struggled to keep the horizontal on track. Good job, yours looks well done!
Hi,
Thanks I'll try that next time!
It does make sense!

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Exactly. It’s also easier to adjust for small issues.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
This might not be for everyone, but I like to use blue dyekum so I can see the depth of the rows and the points easier on 30 or 40 lpi. Especially for these old eyes. :)
I probably have lost a lot brain cells due to the amount of Dykem I use while checkering.
Grey Metal Composite material Carbon Silver

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi,
Wow!
Very nice AZ!
Admittedly I did use Dykem when I started using the pointer file to bring up the diamonds.
Might start using it from the get go to keep me straight.
You guys have given me some good ideas and I appreciate it!
Hope to "dial it in" to a more detailed job next time with these tips!

·
The Tinker
4,478 Posts
I use the the inside of one of the vise jaws or a piece of aluminum/steel clamped between the frame and vise jaws. I just need a good reference to get started.

Once I get three or four vertical lines going that way I'm good to go and free-hand the rest. I do the horizontals free-hand as well.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,
The Power Custom Jig that AZ uses, actually has a diagonal guide on it.

I've seen some diagonal front strap checkering on 1911's from the 50's, that actually looked pretty good!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.