Stippling - Appendix Carry

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Smok3y, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Important stuff first: How agressive is the stippling on the new DVC Models and possibly even the Costa VIP? I know the Costa is different. I am asking in regards to how it catches on shirts specifically for AIWB, but any IWB info is relevant. I have carried many different subcompacts and snub noses, and had no problems, but I tried carrying a ZEV G19 appendix and hated it. The grip was like velcro becasue of the way it is stippled, which looks very different from the DVC. I often carry with no undershirt when just wearing a TShirt, so a little curious how it is on bare skin as well. I see lots of good things written, but not to this point.

Been lurking for a while as a few STIs have popped up that have me seriously considering a move to pick up a STI. Unfortunately they aren’t at my LGSs.
    I am loving the newer DVC models and have been tempted by the Tactical model in addition to the Carry. After lots of reading and watching videos, I am still leaning toward the Carry or maybe even the Costa VIP.
    I am curious about the agressiveness of the stippling. I have only seen the topic come up on a couple threads, but never like I am curious about.
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have guns with both the DVC and Costa/Tree Bark stippling. I carry OWB and modified AIWB, holster inside belt but outside pants (significantly more comfortable). I carry almost exclusively in Garrett Industries leather lined kydex holsters. I have no problems with stippled grips catching on cloths or irritating my skin.

If you do not use a light I’d highly recommend a slightly older non railed DVC Carry. Al alloy frame and only weighs 25-26oz unloaded. They only started making the DVC Carry with the railed frame in the last few months. The Costa VIP is also a great carry gun. For the money you can’t beat the Guardian and send your grip off to Jason at Extreme Shooters to have them work their majic on your grip. They do the Costa and DVC grips for STI.

3. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Thanks for that. That is what I was assuming, because why would they use it in the Carry model if it was too rough? Right?
    Thanks for the advice on the older Carry as well. I had noticed that it was the lighter of the two, so I have been considering that as an option. (Thanks to post I have read from you in various places) I have tried a light, but I probably won’t go back.
    I even considered a host, but I didn’t like it much.
    I found a basically new Costa for a good price, and the older Carry seems to still be a little more expensive. I watched the review of them and they seem pretty close. I do like the look of the Carry better though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  4. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I have a DVC grip on my 2011 Guardian, and it didn't bother me AIWB- but I always wear an undershirt.

5. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    My most important question was how does it specifically affect your shirt, undershirt or outer shirt either? Since you do where the undershirt, Does it pick the shirt at all, get stuck in the shirt? That is what I hated about the other one I had.

6. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Mine does not snag either my undershirt or my cover shirt. I get more "hammer bite" than anything else.

7. Smok3y

Smok3y Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Appreciate the response buddy.