1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Get off my lawn...
15,487 Posts
Wow! Glad to hear it was recovered! I do not have any experience in gun recovery (especially out of State) but I don't see why they wouldn't ship it to your FFL. Unless for some reason you would have to physically claim it?

Good luck, and fill us all in, when the dust settles...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Gwinnett Co Sheriffs has a voicemail only phone line for evidence recovery, and I just found out after a call from my local sheriffs office here in SC on Friday that it was recovered. I left a message and sent an email. Just figured a fellow addict may have experienced this before.

·
SHEEPLE HERDER
1,652 Posts
You'll likely have to show proof of legal ownership and sign for it.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My state SC is non registering state so there's no proof of ownership to be had. Other than I'm the one who reported it stolen. Maybe they'll ship it to the original reporting agency *my dime is fine* I just don't want to drive 5hrs one way for a $600 gun.

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
Rather sure you will have to take possession of it in person.

·
SHEEPLE HERDER
1,652 Posts
My state SC is non registering state so there's no proof of ownership to be had. Other than I'm the one who reported it stolen. Maybe they'll ship it to the original reporting agency *my dime is fine* I just don't want to drive 5hrs one way for a $600 gun.
I've never seen property/evidence released without the owner being present and signing release forms.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a buddy go through a similar process with a stolen firearm and he did in fact have to be there in person with appropriate identification to recover it. It disappeared locally and was recovered locally though. This was a while back and there MIGHT be a process that differs now for long distance recovery but I can't confidently speak to it in particular.

As my wheels turn, I would think that an interdepartmental transfer is possible as you're surely not the first to experience this or have a stolen item show up several hours or even states away. If it were me, I'd go down to my local PD and explore this as a potential option as they should be able to provide insight. If you don't get an answer you like, continue chasing down a human at the GA station who actually has it to get their take on this as a possibility.

Glad your firearm was found!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a SW PC 442 airweight. It was stolen from my vehicle in front of my cellphone shop.

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
My state SC is non registering state so there's no proof of ownership to be had.
Which is exactly why I now keep my purchase receipts, FFL transfer receipts and at a minimum take pictures of all my guns. If they're taken because of a shooting, a vengeful ex files a BS restraining order and they take all your guns before you can defend it in court, or its stolen and subsequently recovered, they will likely require proof you owned it before releasing it to you. Sadly you can find countless stories of people not being able to get their guns back because of it.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I live in Gwinnett County. Lemme know if I can be of any assistance.

My stolen pistol (2012) was recovered in Georgia (Gwinnett Co). Question I'm not in GA. Will I have to drive or fly to GA or will they mail it to me on my dime?
Well Gwinnett Co Sheriffs has a voicemail only phone line for evidence recovery, and I just found out after a call from my local sheriffs office here in SC on Friday that it was recovered. I left a message and sent an email. Just figured a fellow addict may have experienced this before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts