Stoning vs Filing slide to frame fit

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by lr123, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lr123

lr123 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I have been doing a lot of reading and seeing lots of differing opinions on slide to frame fit. Some people suggest only stoning and others suggest filing and finishing it with lapping compound. I have looked into the suggested tools being the frame to slide file from brownells and several stoning tools including the everglades ammo and matrix stoning tools. Please let me know what you prefer and what tool you use. Also I don't mind buying the correct tool even if it comes with a higher price. I am a firm believer in the buy once cry once line of thought.

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Personally I use both, file to take off larger amount of material and stones to take off smaller amounts of material once its close, then JB compound to finish it off. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they just have different uses IMO

UBOATDOC, wrmiller, psafety and 2 others like this.

3. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    In my experiences, you will need all of the above.
    Everglades and matrix has great tools, and I love ordering from everglades. I pretty much order about 95% of all my reloading supplies from everglades. However, everglades does not have the slide track stone that is something you have to get from matrix (or the many other places). Brownells you will need for the lug file, and the ceramic stones. An assortment of files, single, double maybe 0/00 to 2 and definitely a mini file set, stones (all the grits), sandpaper*, and some kind of lapping compound**.

*...sandpaper (spray adhesive) to any flat surface works like a stone and I use this method a lot.
    **... If I could get away from using any lapping compound at all, that is what I would do, however it is not possible to get that "perfect fit" without it, so I try to use as little as possible. I personally lap with a polishing compound (mothers).

4. Coyote6974

Coyote6974 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I've used the Everglades stoning tool to fit two slides to Caspian frames. The first was a stainless slide to a stainless frame. I used honing oil liberally applied to the supplied 320 grit stone. It took me about 45 minutes of making equal numbers of passes on each frame rail to have the slide smoothly moving the entire length of travel on the frame. The second was a carbon steel slide I was fitting to an alloy receiver. This time I wrapped the supplied stone with some 600 grit sandpaper. I again used honing oil applied to the sandpaper. I made ten passes to each frame rail and had the slide at about two thirds travel in ten minutes. Five more passes to each side and I had full travel, hanging at the back. I changed to 1000 grit paper and finished until I had free travel.
    When finished with the carbon steel slide / alloy frame fit, my gunsmith had to mill a thousandth or so of additional material from the rails in order to obtain enough clearance for anodizing. I believe I had a very nice fit.

5. lr123

lr123 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Thank you very much for the responses. A friend from work made a jig similar to the everglades one and is going to loan it to me. I saw a link posted here previously of a website with a complete stone kit so I will be ordering that as well and will be checking Brownells for other tools needed.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted