1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've drooled over some of the most finely crafted 1911's on this forum and when I read some of the build sheets, I sometimes see something along the lines of straightened all lines.

The finished guns look phenomenol, but I feel like I don't "see it."

Does anyone have a before/after pic that shows the difference?

I probably shouldn't be asking, it's just the next box to check off when I send a gun in for custom work!

Jim

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Oh now you've messed up. I wish I would have never learned about "line straightening", now it is all I see. And it is an expensive thing to know.
Same. I was oblivious until I learned about it. I look at the lines specifically around the trigger now. Seems like 80s-90s steel framed Colts are the most obvious.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Same. I was oblivious until I learned about it. I look at the lines specifically around the trigger now. Seems like 80s-90s steel framed Colts are the most obvious.
Chuck Rodgers and Bob Rodgers has a thread discussing techniques many many years ago on 1911 forums.

When I wanted to research things I would do a search on 1911 forums and start and the oldest threads first. That’s where I first saw it. There are some jems buried back in history over there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This was done by Jason Burton a couple years ago. Cuts around the trigger guard is where Colt had a lot of issues later on with the series 70. Jason told me this was one of the worst he'd ever seen.

Apologize for the iPhone photos but I'm pretty sure you can make out the amazing job Heirloom Precision did on this pistol

Before:
Colt's Govt. Model_1.jpeg
Colt's Govt. Model_2.jpeg
Colt's Govt. Model_3.jpeg

After:

JB 1.jpg
JB 2.jpg

ETA: photo

JB 3.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome replies, some of those before shots are rough.

Are these always machining issues or could be forging as well... not sure what a raw forging looks like?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
@JTQ911 maybe another that knows can chime in, but it seems to me older colt aluminum frames are straight, it’s the steel ones that are wavy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Awesome replies, some of those before shots are rough.

Are these always machining issues or could be forging as well... not sure what a raw forging looks like?
For the most part that is just how Colt made them. The unsightly wavy lines are where Colt intentionally opened up the top of the trigger guard. Most of what is posted here are the extreme examples but it is something that is present in most Colt's.

My Don Williams Colt is actually about to take a trip back to him to straighten the lines and tighten the slide to frame fit. The lines aren't bad, but they aren't perfect either.

AJ 1911  Williams 2.jpg
AJ 1911  Williams 3.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts