1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister found a bullet on her back deck. She lives in a small town on a short street surrounded by ag fields and woods. It’s a 40 cal, and looks to be a truncated cone FMJ, so likely a more serious shooter since it isn’t run of the mill plinking ammo.

There’s also two scuffs on the siding at a downward angle above where it was found which may have come from the bullet. There’s minimal deformation and the nose is partially deformed like it hit a semi-hard surface only partially, along with a line of white discoloring and some whitish scuffs along the rifling marks.

My guess is a glancing shot off thin metal that left the partial deformation and paint transfer. What would you do if you found a stray bullet had hit your house?

upload_2020-4-10_22-56-1.jpeg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Buy a lottery ticket?

Pretty rare occurence . . .

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Well, I’d definitely inform the authorities .... and probably choose a room on the opposite side of the house to sleep in.

Or go Joe Biden on them with a couple blasts of a shotgun off my back porch twice a day.... ya know, just in case:)

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Not sure except report it. How serious they would take it I don’t know but not much else can be done.

·
Wrinkled Member
980 Posts
I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle when I was a teenager. The above ground drip irrigation system failed a pressure test, so we went hunting for the leak. Took a while walking it down while listening for the sound of escaping compressed air. Finally found it. Lead projectile about 44-45 caliber from what I recall. Someone launched one into the sky & it hit a run of 1" black poly irrigation tubing on the way back to Earth. It penetrated into the tubing more than half the length of the bullet.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I guess if reporting finding a bullet makes you feel better knock yourself out, but do you really think the police have nothing better to do than come out to look at a bullet that evidently didn’t actually hit anything or cause any harm?
In my opinion, if you can’t positively identify where the bullet came from, there’s no reason to involve the police.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
It’s a pretty standard issue FMJ flat nose plinking round. Most 40 is a flat nose. As to what I would do about it nothing if you have no way of knowing where it came from.

·
Kevin G
7,990 Posts
If there was damage from the bullet maybe someone might be able to put together where the shot may have come from. If not........like was suggested before........get a gun and learn how to use it. Or move.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Somewhere around 2006, a coworker was sleeping in Iraq and a stray AK round came down through his roof and smacked him in the back. Left a small bruise but not much more.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
If you live in a neighborhood like Zoid or @Ethanol Red does, just about every holiday - New Year's eve in particular - the local "immigrantry" (can't call them "citizenry" just yet) goes outside and does multiple magazine dumps into the air in "celebration" . . . .

Any chance its been there since January 1st?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Depends where you live and who you think fired the round.

Some places where thugs are an issue, the cops/ATF collect casings and bullets from random shootings and put them in a NIBIN database, which helps them eventually link certain guns to certain people. On the other hand, if you think it was some yahoo shooting in the air to celebrate something, forget it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. I’m surprised at the number of responses.

She’s in a very small town and affluent neighborhood, so no general worries. But she did recently take an intro rifle marksmanship course, so she’s on her way.

There are only a few places it could come from since they’re on the outskirts. Told her not to expect much if she reported it, but if there’s someone nearby that the PD knows shoots regularly they could tell them to improve their backstop. Hopefully a rare incident.

And I wasn’t aware that most .40 is blunt nosed. Never messed with it, but I realize now that indeed, most FMJ I’ve seen on the shelf is blunt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts