Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Streamlight TLR-7

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Jollyroger1, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Screwball

Screwball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Got mine in the other day... pictures are of it on my Glock 30S, as it is what I will be using it with.

If you buy one, check and see if the E-ring is installed. Don’t know if Streamlight doesn’t put it in so you can swap the key, but never had to install one on any of my other lights. Two come with it, as well as the tool to install/remove them, and the keys. Figured I’d mention it, as I unscrewed it all the way when I was looking it over.

The screw isn’t finger tightenable anymore. I do like it is flushed, but a nickel is probably your best tool for the light. Definitely have to thank Medtronic for instilling four years of carrying a nickel for the battery compartment of my insulin pump, then switching to a design on the belt clip. Guess I’ll just keep that nickel in my pocket for when I carry the TLR-7.

Output is pretty good. My old light on the 30S was a TLR-3, so it is a big jump in Lumens. I also like the front battery loading, which likely would be beneficial for those going with the TLR-8. The lockout is nice, but it is just something I doubt I’ll ever use. Waterproof... it is nice, but never had an issue with the older designs that weren’t.

The switch... I’m definitely up in the air on. It isn’t the traditional Streamlight switch that I love. But I was looking at the XC1, due to size. Hoping this switch will do me well, but I do see some potential issues. I unlocked the strobe feature, and wasn’t sure how to in the instructions. I thought you had to turn the light on/off ten times, whereas you just hit the button quick as s***, and hold on the 10th time. When I was trying to turn it on/off, I did notice myself outrunning the switch (didn’t turn on/off when it should have due to press). Something I need to train on the light and see if it is an issue (doubt it, as the switch to strobe didn’t cause any issue), so just something to consider. My other concern will be holster interaction on the switches. Remember, you can push the switch forward or in to turn the light on. Pulling out of an holster can at least do the forward, and would likely be quick enough to turn the light on constant instead of momentary.

With that being said, here are some comparison pictures. My old light to the new... both I put the end of the frame at 3”, for reference. If you have a TLR-3, might be able to get some comparison before buying.

And some to show profile on my 30S. The 30S uses a 30SF frame, and a slide from the 36... which is close to a 9mm/.40 slide. Again, mainly for comparison.

One thing I hated about the TLR-3 was how it was positioned. You have three keys, and the one for the Glock had a lot of room between the light and the trigger guard. The TLR-7 is pretty damn close to touching the guard. Plus, you have six keys to figure out what will work with your gun. I see this being a big hit for quite a few pistol platforms due to differences in rails among manufacturers. Have a single slot, once you see which size fits (1913 or universal), you have three positions to get the light in the right spot (I know there are 1913-1 through 1913-3... figure the same for universal, but spare keys are in a bag, locked in my safe).
    jmr986, jw perry and FWoo45 like this.
  2. Screwball

Screwball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Unhappy with the light... but likely will be taken care of.

Flickers on dropping the slide, as well as when dry-firing.

On, a member contacted Streamlight. Said it is “anti-bounce software,” which powers the light off when a bounce is detected (for 4 milliseconds). Done to prevent the light from changing modes/shutting down.

The Streamlight representative said he is aware of the concern, and they are rolling out a software update around 3/22 to fix it (anti-bounce will still be there, just won’t flicker). The rep offered to bring the member’s lights back for the update.

I’m contacting Streamlight, sending that video link, and playing dumb. I will keep it in the back of my head for the interaction with C/S, but won’t expect anything shy of it being resolved. I spend $115 for the light, and $100+ on holsters for my Glock/TLR-7. Not going to keep a light that does that. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t likely something that is going to be noticed when firing, but I don’t want it occurring.

-Received a call back from Mark, confirmed what was posted on Told me that they are going to try to ship an upgraded part that the user can swap in themselves. Said might be completed by the end of this week, but possibly next week. Will contact those who report the issue, and let them know when they can expect to move forward with repair/upgrade.

Also confirmed that the lights are good to go for shooting, just the flicker will be present until upgraded. Will add that everyone I’ve talked to at Streamlight were very nice, and actually one of my top companies to ever deal with customer service. Will be a Streamlight customer for life if that is what I can expect from them.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:16 PM

3. scott40cal

scott40cal New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Just got mine in and read the instructions to install it. Read the instructions!
    I did notice the flicker while dry firing.
    Thanks for the heads up with this thread.
    Overall I like it and think Streamlight will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    No flicker on mine, either dropping the slide or dry fires. This was my 1st light & I'm happy.
    Thanks for the heads up in case it develops a problem.

scott40cal likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted