1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. The rubber grips on my 1911 handle are stripped and won't screw on anymore. I noticed this last time I went to the range. Bushings I think they're called? Not sure if they're stripped or not, the threading on the frame and the bushings? look fine, but they won't screw in anymore.

I tried rubber teflon tape and they still won't screw in and the rubber grip falls off on one side of the handle since they won't screw in.

What is the best way to fix this?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Frame is threaded super fine to accept the grip bushings.
Always hand start a bushing to lessen the chance of a cross thread.
If you need to replace the bushings, buy the Challis Bushings & the Bushing Removal Tools.
You can’t go wrong with any Challis purchase. Plus Brian makes outstanding grips!
If the frame hole is stripped, your options are limited; Either retap & hope the new Challis bushings will hold or go to an Oversizded bushing which requires a larger hole & non standard bushings.
Good luck & post pics of your progress

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How do the screws look?
Hey friend, had to work late, sorry for delay.

The screws look just fine, sorry if I did not correctly word this... however the bushing it screws into I think may be stripped, as the threading looks a bit shallow/worn.

It's just one bushing thus far. It won't keep the grip fastens to the frame. Screws are good, but one bushing has gone bad apparently. The bushing won't screw into the frame so I'm positive it's the bushing.

The frame has an alright threading and I see no indication its stripped.

PS: I don't get why the bushings aren't just permanently affixed to the handle. I seriously am wonder why they're screw-on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Frame is threaded super fine to accept the grip bushings.
Always hand start a bushing to lessen the chance of a cross thread.
If you need to replace the bushings, buy the Challis Bushings & the Bushing Removal Tools.
You can’t go wrong with any Challis purchase. Plus Brian makes outstanding grips!
If the frame hole is stripped, your options are limited; Either retap & hope the new Challis bushings will hold or go to an Oversizded bushing which requires a larger hole & non standard bushings.
Good luck & post pics of your progress
Hey friend, I put the bushing back in place and it wasn't as striped as I previously thought. It tightens but has a low tolerance to being tightened. By the advice of my local gunsmith, I used superglue to hold it in place and will update you on the result.

Also, I added superglue to other bushings even though they were okay, just to be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts