Les Baer Stuck Between a Baer and GI...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by sammieiii, Dec 25, 2018.

1. sammieiii

sammieiii Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I’m torn between a Baer Custom Carry and a GI No Name. Anyone have experience with either or both? Both are great guns and I like the ruggedness of the Baer and how it almost changes to a plum color the more you shoot it but the NN is so clean and smooth...decisions are tough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I vote Baer...

tac45 and sammieiii like this.

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I have a custom carry and I vote GI. Dont get me wrong I love my Baer, and if you're going to spend the money you save on more ammo that you wouldn't otherwise buy, my suggestion would swing Baer. The GI just seems so sweet. I like that it's from folks who dont fit barrel lugs with flat files too. Just sayin, but the folks at LB make hard running gats.

4. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I’ve been so impressed with my Baer that it’s hard to recommend something else unless going full custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Just to be different, I say go with the Unknown Soldier!

6. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I am only giving my experience between the two choices listed.

I have had Baer (roughly 3000 rounds through it while I had it) and I have a Guncrafter (about the same round count at this point). To be clear, I sold the Baer to get the GI, and I can say with absolutely no reservations, there is no comparison between the Baer and the GI. To get something out of the way immediately, I did not see any "ruggedness" advantage to the Baer. The GI is built every bit as tough as the Baer, and the Baer has no accuracy advantage either. The differences come out in the quality of workmanship, fit, and finish. The GI is VERY well made, and all of the parts work so smoothly together. There are no tool marks, chipped places in the frame rails, no misaligned front strap checkering, and the finish is not susceptible to damage from gentle use (all of these I had with my Baer).

And if you include a comparison between Baer's customer service and GI's customer service, that seals it. GI has a level of customer service that few can provide. They will go to great lengths to make sure your pistol works and works well.

There is a pistol dealer who is well known for selling high grade semi custom 1911s, and when I was buying my Baer from him, he told me to buy GI instead. When I asked why, he said that they made the best semi custom 1911 in the market. I did not listen to him and went ahead with the purchase of the Baer. He was right and I was wrong.

[​IMG]

WHEELS, azpoolguy, dougwtx and 12 others like this.
  7. sammieiii

sammieiii Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Thank you for the elaborate answer - much appreciated! Who do you recommend I contact to purchase a NN or Baer - any forum Recs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Because of my vague reference about the dealer who sold me the Baer and his unreserved recommendation of GI, I am not going to say at this point. My Guncrafter was purchased through the classifieds of this forum. It had maybe 150 rounds through it when I bought it.

To get a good price on a GI, there are any number of dealers who sell them. Baltimore's Best Pawn, Cajun Concealed, etc. Those are two that stand out in my mind.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I have to say, I have never shot a Les Baer, but I have shot the first pistol GI made. It has 20-30K rounds through it, and was converted to .50GI, had a few recoil springs and I think an extractor replaced. I would have guessed it had just a couple hundred rounds through it. I was very impressed with this gun, after so many rounds..

If you have the $ to spend, I would go GI

In the end, I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

sammieiii likes this.
  10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I don’t have a Baer custom carry but do have a Baer LW Comanche and a GI NN bob tail commander and I say go GI
    Love them both and neither are going anywhere but let’s just say if I buy another from either it will be GI

WHEELS, sammieiii and FWoo45 like this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Guncrafter by a long shot IMO.

ZArugby, WHEELS, stlgecko and 2 others like this.
  12. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Very different build philosophies, customer service programs and price points between GI and Baer. The guns feel very different in the hand to me. The Baer ergonomics fit me better so I sold my GI for a Baer. However, if either gun would suit you, get the GI.

BigSkyGuy, Fred_G, monadh and 3 others like this.
  13. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Guncrafter makes a really nice gun. close to WC and NHC in quality . to me the checkering is a bit rough on the hands. otherwise it is a great gun
    Baer makes tight, accurate no frills guns, a lot of hand fitting goe s into them. especially the barrel...cost less and outshoot almost everything else but a true custom. best semi custom trigger IMHO. I VOTE Baer--so doe s mrs Boatdoc

sammieiii and tac45 like this.
  14. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    Baltimores best pawn. Dan is the MAN

Babboonbobo, SparkyAZ and sammieiii like this.
  15. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    sammieiii likes this.
  16. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Baer makes a nice shooting gun, but Guncrafter is so much more refined.

17. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Aston Martin (GI) or Chevelle (LB)? I own a GI and it has been sitting in the safe for two years without seeing any sunlight, while a Baer comes to the range every trip. Why? Not sure as I would prefer to drive the Aston

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  19. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    Will you be buying an in-stock off the shelf model or thinking about having one built? Les Baer doesn't allow too many options where-as Guncrafter will build a No Name almost any way you like.

Fred_G, simonp and monadh like this.
  20. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Lucky for me...:)

dash likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted