Stupid question to follow regarding a "FrankenPistol"

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Feb 18, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    While looking over a tentative parts list for my next build using an STI forged CS frame/slide I became aware there were parts from seven different manufactures going into the build. My question is there anything to be gained by building a 1911 from all one manufacturer such as an STI frame/slide and all STI parts, versus and STI frame/slide with parts from seven different manufactures? Is fitting parts a product of using parts from different manufactures or is fitting just the product of building a nice 1911? I have to stop drinking so much coffee.
    Bill

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    nope, i don't think you gain anything by getting parts from same mfg, unless you try to pass it off as a factory built gun.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I do not believe there would be much of a diference.
    Some of that parts may fit better together if from the same manufacturer,
    as in frame to grip safety fit.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I don't think it matters. Many part manufacturers build oversize so their parts fit any application.

Thinking your way I bought a Wilson thumb safety to fit my Wilson build thinking it would fit. WRONG! The shaft was way oversize for the hole in the frame. It was oversize by about 4 thousands which is a bunch.

I called Brownell's and they told me that Wilson makes all their parts oversize so they can be reduced to fit any gun.
    I exchanged it for a EGW safety and EGW was a reputation of building their parts large but it was a snug fit into the Wilson frame. It did go in with a minimal amount of fuss which is a far cry from what the Wilson would have required.

So in my Wilson build I have parts from..
    Brown
    EGW
    STI
    Harrison design
    Kart
    Caspian
    Wilson
    Clark

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I recently fitted a Wilson TS in a Springer frame, minimal fitting needed.
    I would not consider it to be an "oversize" piece.

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    That's sort of the point. It obviously was just the ticket in your Springer but way oversize for the same hole in the Wilson. Had Wilson made the part to fit their frame it would have been a sloppy fit in your gun. Now I could have gotten it to fit by "shoe shinning" the heck out of it or reaming the hole in the Wilson but I made a choice to try a different safety.

I bet it's like that way with numerous parts, the point being that buying from STI to fit an STI frame does not insure that the fit will be excellent or even better than a part by XYZ manufacturing. It's contra-intuitive but it seems to be prevalent at least in my limited experience.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    That's the main point on 1911. It's meant to be fitted. And since now that we have so many different manufacturers of guns and part, that all tolerances are all over the place.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Amen

9. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    None of the guns I have built use 1 manufacturers parts exclusively. I try to get people to use what I like if I can because it is easier for me to build the gun.

For example, I like to use EGW sears and disconnectors if the disco hole is wider than normal like on a Kimber or Sig and a ball head disco will work better. If the frame has a standard disco hole, I use Wilson or Colt. I prefer to use Wilson triggers and hammers.

I prefer 2pc Ed Brown magwell mainspring housings. Easier to fit and blend than a S&A 1pc.

Kart barrels from now on unless specified otherwise.

I could order everything from Wilson and be done with it but I like what I like from different suppliers.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted