Subcompact 1911 Doublestack

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Levi Streiter, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:42 AM.

1. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    Good evening gentlemen,

Perhaps you can help me out here.
    I’m looking for a 1911 “equivalent” of the P365. So far, all I’ve found is the Wilson EDC X9S. While obviously a fantastic gun, it’s beyond my appreciation; I’m an amateur and it seems silly to spend that kind of money at this point.
    However I do love the 1911 platform and currently carry a P938 for summer. My Dan Wesson ECP has been too difficult for me to conceal easily here in Las Vegas, it’s warm here most of the year.
    Is there anything out there that has higher capacity than the P938 bit not significantly larger? I’m looking at the STI C2; problem is that looks more like a Glock 19 sized gun and I can’t find the specs anywhere.
    Springfield EMP looks close, but still larger than the Wilson...
    Your input is appreciated!

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    The EDC X9S is the gun you really need, it's the game changer in the double-stack sub-compact universe. I had one, just sold it. At the end of the day I preferred my counselor which carries 9+1 and I always have an extra magazine so 19 rounds better get the job done.

Guy Montag likes this.

3. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    Would I be able to enjoy what the Wilson has to offer, even though I’m a beginner? I’m sure it retains its value well if I choose to sell it, but I don’t want to be frivolous and buy an extremely high end product without fully (or even partially) grasping its value other than its capacity. Otherwise I’d probably go with a Kimber Ultra Raptor 2, so I’d at least get some power instead.

4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    You had it right the first post! I went to a P365XL and won’t look back for my smallest carry option. Also carry an EDC X9 occasionally, I do not have the X9s but would like to try one.

PS: you should do an introduction post and greet everybody then ask for their help. Goes a long way on this forum, just sayin!

And a hearty welcome aboard from NW Ohio. Oh yeah, we like pictures to;)

1911 crazed and Series70 like this.
  5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Greetings...and even though this is "1911 addicts" I think you should consider the CZ Rami...great little doublestack pistol...no plastic. Not on a 1911 platform, but the CZ platform has a lot to offer...a LOT.

RN47 and Babboonbobo like this.
  6. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    This is a great suggestion and I’ll definitely check it out... I was hoping for something more 1911 like and a bit higher end, like a Dan Wesson. But even the DWX compact is bigger than I want so perhaps this is my only option.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Well, I have done a little research, and the Rami probably isn't a good summertime concealed carry prospect...its a bit wide for summertime concealment, but its a great little defensive pistol otherwise, particularly the decocker model. Aside from the P365 variants, the Glock 43X is also a decent option. As much as I am a fan of 1911's I do not consider them a good carry gun, as I prefer the DA/SA options. There is a company down in Mesa, AZ. called CZ Custom...they also work a lot with Dan Wesson. They are a custom build shop, and CZ takes a lot of their ideas and incorporates them into their new products. Speak with Stuart, and tell him what you hope to accomplish, but as a starter, I expect that any double-stack will not meet your summertime concealability objectives...10 rounds is not bad, though. I know many tout the 365, but I'm beginning to appreciate the new Gen 5 Glocks.

8. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    It doesn’t need to be double stacked, 10+1 is good. My P938 isn’t enough... I know guys recommend moving away from 1911 but they’re just so enjoyable to shoot and it incentivizes me to train more. If only that Wilson was $1,000 less... I hope others will follow in their path.
    Otherwise, maybe Kimber Ultra Raptor .45. At least that offers some power

9. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    BUL Armory makes a gun which sounds like what you are describing. Its relatively new but people seem to like it.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you will probably have to look at striker fired guns.

10. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    I took a look at that Bul Armory- it’s sized like a Glock 19

11. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Yes and no. They have 2 different grip modules. One that is approximately 126mm and one less common that is 112.5mm. That grip will be a good deal smaller.

Bull is the only company these days building a compact 2011. I have 2 of the BUL Vipers in order that should be coming in the next week or two.

STI used to make an ultra compact 2011. You can see and learn a little about it here. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/sti-total-eclipse-who-needs-a-sig365.66621/#post-1024377 It was ahead of its time and didn’t sell well.

I just got a new toy back from Nighthawk. It’s a STI Guardian that has the 105mm grip installed with a few other mods. It’s the wife’s new gun.

zChambers likes this.
  12. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter New Member

Saturday
    Would that smaller Bul Armory be sized like the Wilson S? It’s as big as I want to go... congrats on your Nighthawk! Maybe I’ll go the same route one day when I’ll appreciate it...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted