Suggest a bullet

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by too_pure, Dec 16, 2011.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I just finished off my 200 gr Ranier plated hollow points, which have been my favorite so far. I've thought about going 185 gr next, because I've not tried them yet. But I definitely do not want to go with any round nose. What would you suggest for .451 range bullets? I'll be using W231. Shooting 1911's.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Personally I like the Nosler or Zero 185g hp for accuracy. The hornady xtp and the sierra are also very nice offerings but the sierra is a bit more spendthrift.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Despite what many may think or have heard, the HDY-XTP bullets are actually feeding more reliable in custom 1911's with a ramp and throat job, compared to generic 230 RN.
    I remember when working at WC, where we had a very expensive barrel fixture for testing barrel and bullet quality, the HDY 200 gr.XTP came out on top.
    The HDY shot 1 to 2" grops at 50yds. That test eliminated both the human factor and gun performance.
    If memory serves me right, the load consisted of 5,2 gr. of WW Superlite, which is not made anylonger. We tested a variety of bullets, but I don't think we tried Nosler at the time.
    However, I have no doubt that F.ie Nosler or Sierra Tournament master series would be top choices too.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted