1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few pistols that I'd like to convert to a Heinie Straight-8 configuration.

For example, one is an older Springfield Operator, so without being terribly familiar with the process, I suspect there will be milling involved.

Any suggestions on a shop that I can ship my slide to, have them magically fix it, and then send it back to me in a timely fashion? I've already checked out Heinie direct, but want to shop around to compare prices and timeframes.

Thank you!

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,268 Posts
Nothing is quick in the gun industry right now, any idea what the sight cut is on the Springfield?

·
6,268 Posts
I know if you have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat sending in your slide and getting new sights is pretty easy and quick. Last time I did that with Brown it was 10 days round trip.

The SA custom shop is pretty handy and helpful maybe call them since the gun in question is a Springfield

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Nothing is quick in the gun industry right now, any idea what the sight cut is on the Springfield?
Exactly! Every smith, shop, etc seems to be buried!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sent my TRP slide to Novak a few weeks ago. Turn around time was less than 10 days from the time I sent it until it was back in my hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent my TRP slide to Novak a few weeks ago. Turn around time was less than 10 days from the time I sent it until it was back in my hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've heard good things about Novak - my Springer has Novaks on it already., I just like the Heinie straight-8 style better. I have sent Heinie an inquiry to turn around time; looks like it would be $300 for the sights ($150) and the install. I probably won't be able to do much better than that using a stand-alone smith, unless they get the parts well below retail.

·
6,268 Posts
The problem with "smiths" is they want bigger jobs than that, they want mill work, refinishes jobs, etc and many have %500 minimum job requirements

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've swapped SA sights many times without issues.... YouTube has excellent tutorials on sight fitment/installs. If your confused by sight selection customer service of the both gun mfg and sight mfg have your answers.
If you can change a tire on the car... a sight swap is quicker.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with "smiths" is they want bigger jobs than that, they want mill work, refinishes jobs, etc and many have %500 minimum job requirements
Well, I probably could be convinced to add a few options on to the gun - I just don't care enough to want to ship it off for 6+ months, etc. If someone said "we have a minimum, but can get to it in a timely fashion" then I'd be cool with it.

I expect that, due to the ledge-style Heinies I like, there will be some milling of the rear slide to make it fit; so I don't think it will be a straight swap. But I will take some photos and share when I get home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You could also try John Harrison, he has swapped sights for me in the past in a very timely manner.

Hope this helps, Ray.

Reactions: simonp and random84

·
Double Secret Banned
2,148 Posts
There is a Heinie Ledge sight that fits the Novak rear dovetail. Unless your springer is weird, you probably have the Novak dovetail.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the assistance- here's the pistol and my intended sight set.
20210223_201901.jpg
30055L.83f11202957f450772f3acb8cdd96f61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Double Secret Banned
2,148 Posts
Rear dovetail on that Springer is a Novak cut and the Heinie Ledge Rear sight does drop in.

I think the front dovetail matches a Dan Wesson. Dawson probably makes a .180 height front sight for it if a Wesson isn’t correct.

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
I know if you have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat sending in your slide and getting new sights is pretty easy and quick. Last time I did that with Brown it was 10 days round trip.

The SA custom shop is pretty handy and helpful maybe call them since the gun in question is a Springfield
Last I checked Springfield was only doing high end pistols complete. Not smaller work.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you want the EXACT sight you posted on your gun, it’ll require a weld up, re-cut, and refinish. It is a Heinie cut which is different from the Novak cut on your gun. Heinie does make that sight in a Novak cut that most likely won’t require those things. Just be sure what you’re ordering/asking for.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
You could also try John Harrison, he has swapped sights for me in the past in a very timely manner.

Hope this helps, Ray.
Good to know, I’ve been eyeing his sights ( extreme for rear and front gold bead) for my gold cup, will have to reach out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 45ACP_ray

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Yeah that rear Heinie isn't going to fit that dovetail -- at all. Best to order a straight 8 that is pure novaks. Ans sending that pita project stand alone to a 'smith? Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts