1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Go Ahead, Make My Day!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Addicts, I need some suggestions. Had one case of ammo in a Garage that I know crickets live in. I dont have wasps. This ammo was in a outercarton that got eaten up.I see no mice droppings.
Does anyone have a clue what did this? I was under the impression that tumbling live ammo is dangerous especially pointed bullets... Any suggestions? I can steel wool the residues off each one in 15-20 seconds. Maybe ultrasonic?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ultrasonic as in wet? I don’t think that would be a good idea.

Reloaders tumble loaded ammo all the time to remove the lube. I have never heard of it causing a problem. Not enough energy to set off a primer. In theory you might make the powder a little finer and maybe faster burning by shaking it so no longer than necessary. I have never heard of this being proven experimentally though.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
Looks like the work of feral Russian termites.
Dam Rooskies! :mad:
Hillary used to live in them thar hills long ago (not long enough :rolleyes:), I’ll bet she knows how that damage is somehow linked to President Trump.
Dagnabbit! :coffee: :roflmaro:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Steel wool, then vibrate about 20 minutes in walnut with a course polish in it. Inspect each one, they should be clean enough at that point, if not a little work with green scotch bright pad should do it. If you reload, soak them overnight in citric acid after you shoot them , then tumble for an hour, the empty brass should be good to go at that point.

·
Go Ahead, Make My Day!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all comments
I am tumbling with great results except some are encrusted
I can wire wheel those with a benchgrinder

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Thanks for all comments
I am tumbling with great results except some are encrusted
I can wire wheel those with a benchgrinder
Wait Haris. See what dry tumbling will do, before reverting to extremes.

Subteranian termites use moisture, dirt and their fecal matter to build tunnels that protect them as they move outside dirt, soil, etc. Go slowly and carefully to see. There maybe some discoloration or corrosion... take it one step at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts