Suggestions on Modding a Kydex IWB Holster Please.

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Nalajr, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I’ve got a question for those that have or have used Kydex IWB holsters with your heavier carry pieces.
    I’ve got a Kydex IWB holster for my Commander that I’ve been trying out the last couple of days to see if I really need an OWB holster for my 1911’s and my Hi Power. It’s made by BladeTech and it’s a Summer Special Style that has 2 rubber straps that are adjustable for both cant angle and depth that it sits on the belt. It’s a nice holster but the problem for me is that the side that rides against my underwear and tucked in T-Shirt is really slick and I am constantly pulling that side of my pants up. No matter how tight my belt is, I have to pull up my pants each time I stand up or after I walk any minimal distances.

I am thinking of trying to put something on that side to better keep it in place. I’ve thought if Skateboard Tape, the “hook” side of VELCRO, and that stuff like sandpaper that has adhesive on one side that is used to put on the surfaces of stairs to improve the traction so people won’t skip and fall on them. I’m wondering if any of this stuff would make much of a difference or if it’s just a waste of time.

Has anyone else had to mod an IWB holster of this type to better keep it in place and try to prevent it from sliding around? If so, what did you use that worked well?

Wearing it these past couple of days reminded me why it’s been in the holster drawer for the last many years. When I used to use it I lived back in my hometown of Huntington, West Virginia and I used a set of those wide Fireman’s style suspenders under my flannel shirts and Carhartt Barn Coat. That won’t work here in Houston, Texas!!

Any ideas or advice on how to improve this holster? Or should I just put it back in the drawer and start looking for OWB holsters to use with my 1911’s and my Hi Power??

Thank you for your help and time. I appreciate it.
    Have a good week fellow 1911 lovers!!
    Larry

2. Fight islam Now

Fight islam Now Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    8AC354D0-4FC3-4133-A896-C0CEB1730294.jpeg BAFFF13E-D29C-4991-B7A9-5B0A18B64883.jpeg I have one kydex holster that I glued sheep skin to my “skin” side

The “hair” is against my skin. It is a little thicker but it molds to,and holds my waistline. Cinches tight without being tight. Very comfortable.

Another is elephant with the sheep skin on the skin side.....pictured.......this is the way to go for comfort and stability in terms of being able to tighten it down to you.

I also have an IWB made entirely of sheep skin and it is very comfortable but not rigid enough......more like a gun pocket

Not only is the sheep skin soft and comfortable but it wicks moisture so you won’t sweat under it and soak your holster like you do with leather when it’s hot or you are working while carrying.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

3. Fight islam Now

Fight islam Now Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    B900D52E-2C2B-4D1A-B303-C0283B7E180E.jpeg 18CF17B8-1CC1-4C2E-944D-22386B31CA72.jpeg
    And for my CZ Tac Sport (which is really heavy and hard to find a holster for) I modified this generic holster and glued sheep skin to the body side of the clip

4. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Industrial strength Velcro from Walmart.
    I take the fuzzy piece, pull off the protective plastic, and stick the fuzzy piece to the back of the holster.
    Took about 30 seconds to do.

Then I brought a Milt Sparks SS2 Mk2, and never wore Kydex again.

cgff and BigSkyGuy like this.
  5. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    What belt are you using? If you are pulling your pants up there is a good chance you need a stiffer belt...

Low grade sand paper will rough up the kydex without adding extra width, I would think

Longbow likes this.
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If it were me, I would just buy a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. The rough side out design of the leather holster will solve your problem, and it will feel more comfortable against your body than Kydex.

Also make sure that you're using a quality gun belt.

BigSkyGuy and Longbow like this.
  7. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    +1 for the belt...

I picked up one of the Bigfoot belts, following a suggestion from someone here.
    It's perfect with the SS2.

8. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Belt issues.

I just wore this holster for my two day training class with Sentinal Concepts with an IFAK hanging on my belt as well without issue. It’s all use.
    DDAA3B83-9171-41E3-83FC-A93458D4C2CE.jpeg CF3FFC7D-984F-42DC-BEDD-65CCD137F6C0.jpeg
    My full set up. I added a second mag carrier for the class.
    5A9221BC-57CF-440E-BCCE-6D31EB146F61.jpeg

Longbow likes this.
  9. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I wouldn't want to glue something to my IWB and add bulk, personally.

If your heart is set on kydex the G-Code Incog holster comes with what they call Tactical Fuzz to keep it from slipping. I haven't tried it myself. I only use kydex OWB if at all.

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/incog-iwb-holster-system/

If it were me, I'd just call Allan Yoast and get a Milt Sparks Criterion or Summer Special for IWB. Allan might have what you want in stock and save you a few months of waiting for an order direct from MS. He's on Facebook, or his number is 512-426-0027.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted