suggestions

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by boatdoc, Apr 26, 2017.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    during my quest for info about a WC SG, I received quite a bit of great info from my fello w members(thanks!)I was also lucky enough for some folks to take the time to PM me about different issues(again thanks).

One PM struck me as very interesting. In it our fellow member discussed the detailed stripping and polishing of internal parts that made his 1911s feel and operate much better(SG like).I am intrigued. I am asking for mor e help folks

any suggested reading..articles, threads, posts, books to be used as a guide as to how to break down, polish up and reassemble my prized 1911s (and have no left over parts in the end :) ) would be appreciated.I have zero confidence in my abilities so far. I can clean a gun , can replace some of the springs,( thanks to youtube videos it is easier than I thought), but taking the whole gun down and then getting it right upon reassembly ( as well as trying to figure out which parts to polish to improve my guns) is daunting to me at this juncture

thanks in a dvance for your ideas

rob

Doclab88, Bro. Pappaw and wcanterbury like this.
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    One of the long time standard reference books is Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual, this book shows you how to take apart and reassemble a 1911.

tac45, william adams, cwoods and 2 others like this.

3. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks a lot. I will look for it. I have bill wilsons book as a starting point too. I really need to be sure of what I am doing though.

4. Pennywise827

Pennywise827 I keeed I keeed.....

Jan 23, 2017
    boatdoc do you a have a lesser 1911 to practice on? Maybe a Kimber or a RIA?

J/K Kimber fans!

I too have not taken mine all the way down. I too lack the confidence that I wouldn't mess something up. Please keep us updated...I'd like to do it to my Valor too if possible.

5. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    pennywise. it might be worth buying an old used 1911 to practice on. I value my collection so much I would hate to have to go to a gunsmith with a box of parts and an ashame d look on my face ya know?

Pennywise827 likes this.
  6. Pennywise827

Jan 23, 2017
    Sir I do. I betcha could find a RIA and polish that turd up! I think if you do though, you will start buying parts to replace MIM parts, then pretty soon your sub $500 tester will be a $900 serviceable firearm...LMAO!

dustinoif3 and wcanterbury like this.
  7. Pennywise827

Jan 23, 2017
    My concern is the finish on my pins. Duty coat plus a hammer and punch (even one with a cloth between it and the surface) scares the bejeezus outta me.

8. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Detail stripping a 1911 is actually pretty easy. Especially once you learn how the parts interact with each other.

Just take it slow the first time and pay attention. Before long it will be as natural as breathing. Definitely don't be nervous about it.

tac45, cundiff5535, SCS1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  10. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    It's easy and lots of YouTube videos if you get stuck. I always keep Peabody and his Wayback Machine handy in case I need to start over.
    wayback.jpeg

cundiff5535 and Jimhoag like this.
  11. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    the idea of using a lower cost gun to work on fits my needs.Until I become confident with my skill level and ability to do it right consistently

when I was training,ages ago, we had a saying that applies here I think

"watch one, do one ,teach one" so books and youtube it is while I search for a gun to be a guinea pig as I learn

Pennywise827 and Apollo12 like this.
  12. fatty

fatty Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I dont even know how many times i tear down my 1911 in a given week. Its really easy.... just watch a few youtube vids and practice with what ya got

13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I bought an all steel ATI for $300 new just for this purpose. I haven't done it yet but that's the test mule when I get around to it.
    I've watched videos on disassembly and reassembling a 1911 and doesn't look too bad. I'm a journeyman machinist, hell I should be able to just make one from scratch!! Haha!

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  14. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    now I see your points folks. The videos make it look easier than originally thought . I found a wilson combat book that came with one of my guns that discusses the detailed strip too.It all helps

the next ? is( and I have searched but cannot find specific info); what parts of the action do I polish to improve function(smoothness).

what should I NOT do which may cause the gun to be unreliable?

lots of stuff is offered on line bUT non is specific to our gun AND a few articles discuss ruining a gun by overdoing it, rounding off parts that should be crisp edged....

I do NOT ever want to ruin a gun or make it dangerous.

15. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    In my opinion, unless you see an obvious burr across a working surface, there is nothing to be done to "improve function." Promiscuous polishing does no real good.

tac45, azpoolguy and bnaples like this.
  16. yrualeg1

yrualeg1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Here are Both of Jerry's Books in PDF

Attached Files:

17. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Shoot it. It'll polish itself.

tac45, cundiff5535, Fred_G and 5 others like this.
  18. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Detail strip is so easy even a PFC in US Army can learn to do it. That'd be me after my other duty, I got put in the armorers room and had a great Sgt 1st class, thanks Sgt Ball, learn me how to not just "grab" parts from the bins to help build a better 1911A1 with the nearly worn out stuff we had to work with.
    You, too, can learn the detail strip, it is easy and was intended to be maintainable by GIs in the field by JMB

yrualeg1 likes this.
  19. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Thanks for the link. I have a copy of book 1 that I got as a hand me down from my Uncle that was gunsmith in the 70's and 80's. I saved the link to book 2 on my phone.

yrualeg1 likes this.
  20. yrualeg1

yrualeg1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Glad I could help. I have both hard and soft copies of them.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted