Summer Carry Questions

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Carolinaboy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Well I put this in the autoloaders section but really I'm open to some revolvers too. I carry a G19 daily, which is fine for the fall & "winter" months here in SC. But come April-Septemeber we are talking temps ranging from 75*-110* (heat index). I'm a fishing guide too so I'm in real light weight clothing 98% of the time. Even out in day to day errands. I don't wear anything 100% cotton until after 8pm :lol:

So I know from my experience with my old XD .45c was a pain to carry in light clothing, it was obviously heavy & printed like crazy. But I could careless about printing, I just don't want to have a gun flash.

My thoughts are a pocket holster with a subcompact of some kind, weight is a big concern. The smallest caliber I want is 9mm or .38spl.

Here is what I'm thinking. I'm thinking a S&W Airweight in .38spl in either RCS pocket holster (prints like a wallet in your pocket), or a Remora holster. My biggest think about Subcompact pistols is my big fat hands & thumbs up grip (like on a Glock or 1911) puts my thumbs in front of the muzzle, NO! Obviously with the revolvers I can shoot with the thumb down hold. I like the looks of the LC9 but haven't handled one.

I'm up for any suggestions by the way. I want to have two carry guns in my arsenal, my G19 & a carry gun. Also my dress wear in the summer is usually lightweight Columbia shorts & usually a light weight fishing t-shirt

2. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    If you're willing to go IWB, with a good holster, you should be OK.

I'm a sloppy academic scientist, so I'm in a "lightweight" $5 Old Navy T-shirt and jeans year-round. Those who've met me will tell you "Oh, yeah, Allen - he's that fat Chinese guy in the black T-shirt and baseball cap." :lol: My EDC is a XDm9 3.8 Compact, and aside from a few "gun friends" of mine, no-one knows that I carry.

:smile: Just a thought to ponder, that's all. :smile:

3. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I'm thinking I could get away with the CBST & G19 but wouldn't mind something slightly lighter

4. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I just sold my S&W 360 - Scandium .357. It came in around 13oz empty and disappeared in the Mika holster. Both were perfect at their intended role, but in the end I spent most of last summer in IWB carry and it was my last .38/.357 so it now has a much better home.

5. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I carry a P99 compact in the summer (pretty much identical size to a G26), as well as a tiny Seecamp in my front pocket always. Not a ton of firepower, but I'm wearing pants, I have my Seecamp.

6. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SW FL shorts & t-shirt. Seecamp 32 in pocket holster.

7. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I've thought about a G26 a good bit as well, but that would be IWB for sure. A G26 is too bulk for pocket carry, I would think

8. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I would agree!

9. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Hey Carolinaboy,
    Living in S.Florida I can relate with Summer Carry(9-months out of the year) issues especially you being a boat guide. When I'm offshore fishing I normally carry my rohrbaugh .9mm(same footprint as kel-tec .380) but better quality and caliber. Andrew's Leather makes the best in the rear pocket holster I've seen made specifically for it. I also will carry it OWB in a Desantos holster made for it if I'm not planning on shedding my t-shirt(high ride design). Another option is J-frame s & w or Ruger LCR in a OWB rig, I have carried that set up many a time in the boat. I do not like ITW rigs during Summer due to sweating and discomfort, I'm sure some may disagree(just because) but I'll bet they don't live in the South. Any ways just my 2cents worth and Hope was a little helpful.
    Some photos, sorry could not show any LCR holster photos I loaned to my son and haven't seen since.:der: The Rohrbaugh is the top one in comparison with the kel-tec on bottom. Mark's Guns 052-1.jpg Mark's Guns 295-1.jpg Mark's Guns 296-1.jpg Mark's Guns 297-1.jpg Mark's Guns 266-1.jpg

10. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm with Two-Oh on this one.

I carry my 360 loaded with 157 grain 357 maggie Hornadys in the skimpier months of the year (SC here too). A speed strip, or two, in the pocket and you have more than enough to do what has to be done against two leggers. Not to mention if one of those prehistoric pirhanna find a way to your boat you can cap its ass before it eats yours.

Mine goes in an uncle mikes #3 for pocket carry and IWB will disappear with just about any holster.

If you are into speedos, you could possibly modify a bellyband setup. Just make sure you put the gun in the front.

11. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the little .380 Mustang (and clones).

This is my Sig P238

[​IMG]

12. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    100%! That size pistol is sub-compact in name only, great for IWB, but I wouldn't even think about trying to pocket it. If looking into a G26, check out the P99c, as well as some of the offerings from H&K. I used to be a Glock fan boy, but after trying some other polymers (that aren't much more expensive), I never looked back. The big awakening for me was that other polymers were as reliable. I just didn't think it was possible. I was wrong. A P99 has such a superior trigger to a stock Glock it's not even close. And I've grown to like DA/SA for a weapon with no manual safety. Different stokes for different folks, but I wish I'd discovered that one ten years earlier.

13. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    :jaw: Just kidding...lol.

To me, carry is all about the gun you want to use and then dressing around it. I like to carry a 1911 100% of the time (just my preference). In the hottest parts of the year I wear a t-shirt with an ultra-light button up over the top (normally just button the very bottom button to keep the wind from blowing the shirt open. It doesn't add too much for me personally. At other times I wear 2 t-shirts. This what I am comfortable with. YMMV

14. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Carl you making pocket holsters too???

15. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I used to make a few back in the old biz. I don't know if that is something I want to pursue again. Just givin you crap...lol.

16. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Thanks guys, we have a Palmetto State Armory now here in town. The had a lot of j-frame revolvers for good price I need to go fondle a few before making a decision. Thinking pocket carry like graffiti & carlj mentioned will work best for my apparel

17. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Shoot the ultralight revolvers, before you buy.

Everyone loves them for their size and weight(lessness), not everyone likes their recoil, even with standard-pressure .38-Specials.

For me, I'm the opposite of everyone here. :smile: In the winter is when I'll carry my pocket-snubbie (a M&P 340) - I like to have "hands on gun," when I can't get to my primary as fast as I usually can due to the extra cover layer(s). :wink: Pocket snubbies are awesome, shot through the pocket - they'll never see it coming.

18. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    All of this plus the fact that you are on the water alot. Personally I would like having a wheelie on me if I happened to take a dunk while in a scuffle and have to rely on my weapon going bang if i need it.

19. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    Both of you just confirmed my thoughts. I don't mind the recoil of the standard pressure 38 but only shot it in old timey M&P revolvers. Gotta check that out. What do you think of the +P loads?

20. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    .38 is a very capable round and +p is moreso. Its not about the round, its about trying to learn how to put shots on target with a 1.875" barrel out of a frame that weighs 13 ounces - and has a ~12lb trigger pull. With full power .357 Mag loads, it was challenging for me unless shooting single. I carried .38 +p and felt completely comfortable with them. You will read reports about these things (M&P 360/340) causing peoples hands to bleed and bruising, etc... I never had any of those issues but I am not overly recoil sensitive either. Good luck.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted