Sunday Night with my Son at the range

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kyle Burt, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Been taking my 10 year old son to the outdoor range since he was 8. I've found it's a lot easier to instruct him without the noise of an indoor range.. Well tonight I took him to the indoor range for the first time. He LOVED it. "Joe Commando" next to us working on his 18" groupings at 10 yds with his AR didn't seem to bother my son a bit.

Funny, I think what he liked most was not having cease fires and walking down to change out his targets.. he really liked being able to just push the button ;)

Was a great way to end the weekend. (Kaden shooting his Ruger SR22)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Awesome........

WC145 and Kyle Burt like this.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Very cool! I'm excited and can't wait to start taking my son in a couple years!

How does he like the Ruger SR22?

Kyle Burt likes this.
  4. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    That's awesome Kyle, a range day with my son is the best too! My wife likes her SR-22 a lot!

Kyle Burt and Jollyroger1 like this.
  5. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    Great. I take my Grandkids whenever I get the chance. But Hayden is almost 20 and Alyssa is almost 16, so they don't spend a lot of time with Poppy like they used to:cry:

6. Kyle Burt

Aug 26, 2015
    It's great, the grip ergonomics is perfect for him. For his 11th Bday I think I'm going to have to get him on a 1911 of some sort ;) He's shot my 9mm VBOB but grip is just a little to large for him still.

WC145 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  7. Kyle Burt

Aug 26, 2015
    My Daughter is 19 and in her freshman year.. She loved shooting with dad until she got her license at 16... she doesn't shoot with dad much anymore :(

WC145, limbkiller and wcanterbury like this.
  8. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Don't worry dad, She will be back! :grin:

limbkiller and Kyle Burt like this.
  9. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Adda boy....awesome

10. frostamp

frostamp NRA Lifer

Jun 7, 2012
    best thread of the day Kyle. I love going to the range with my son. Didn't care if I got to shoot.
    I would load mags as fast as I could. My best range days all I did was load mags.

My boy.

[​IMG]

Vernman69, WC145, Bro. Pappaw and 5 others like this.
  11. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Best thread of the day?
    Best thread in a while!

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Nothing like spending time with family be it shooting, hunting, fishing, golf etc..................... Just enjoy it once they find out what the other sex is for they forget some stuff for a little while. They come back though.

frostamp, SCS1911, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    A great thing to do. Enjoy.

frostamp likes this.
  14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Good looking kid. Some of the best times I have shooting is now with my S.O. One of my kids lives in Europe and the other works seven days a week..

frostamp likes this.
  15. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Awesome day.. Congrats

16. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Your son will cherish this time. If only all parents would invest time with their kids.

Good for both of you.

frostamp and Kyle Burt like this.
  17. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    We need more parents doing this. It will continue the love we have for firearms when we are dead. My daughter (15) won a debate in school about gun control and the problems it brings. Nothing could have made me any prouder of her.

OP, I applaud you for doing what you're supposed to do and being an excellent role model.

frostamp, WC145 and Kyle Burt like this.
  18. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Love the pics, great to see kids having fun shooting with family.

The shooting sports are a terrific way to spend time with your kids and teach them some important life lessons. Our youngest is fourteen now and started shooting Action Pistol and 3 Gun with me last year. He was my range monkey for several years, helping to haul gear, paste targets, set up and tear down stages. He's a small guy, though, so it wasn't until last year that he'd grown enough to safely handle some of the guns. Like Kyle's boy, the full size guns are just a little too big for fast handling so I have a new Springfield EMP Champion coming in today for him, hopefully that will solve the grip size and reach issues.

Here's a shot of Tucker all geared up and ready to go at last Saturday's match, his first outing with a new CZ P-09-
    [​IMG]

And, for all of you guys that have lost your older kids and grandkids (Damn, rjinaz85308, I had no idea you were so old!:roflmaro:) to work, life, or the opposite sex, don't worry, like others have said, they do come back. This is a pic of Tucker with my oldest son and his wife at a match they shot with us when they were visiting last summer (that's two 1911s and a Hi Power on those belts:grin:)-
    [​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted