1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun is in very impressive shape for being almost 60 years old, couple light wear marks on the LH side of muzzle, and the backstrap. These Second Gen New Frontiers are, In my opinion, the best and most useful Single Actions Colt ever made. A note from John Taffin:

"In 1962, a Colt Single Action Army cost, gulp, $125. The New Frontier, was even higher at an unreachable $140. This at the same time that .357 and .44 Magnum Ruger Blackhawks were going for less than $100 and the superbly crafted and blued Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum was selling for $116. Our local store had a New Frontier .44 Special that I drooled over quite often but with college tuition, three hungry kids, and a wife who stayed home with them, there was no way. Had I been able to look into the future, I would somehow have borrowed the money and bought the Colt. Today it would be worth no less than ten times the original price. I keep reminding myself: ALWAYS REMEMBER, COLT SINGLE ACTIONS DO NOT GO DOWN IN VALUE!

The Colt New Frontier began with serial number 3000NF, which stayed in the Colt plant. The last of the Second Generation New Frontiers was in the 72XXNF serial number range, which gives us a total of slightly over 4,000 New Frontiers from 1961 to 1974. Four calibers were made in this first run of Colt Flat-Top Target sixguns. These were in chamberings of .45 Colt,.38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .44 Special."

Less than 800 5.5" 357's were made, this one being an early '3 digit' one.

$1400 OBO Shipped

IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG

·
Deo Volente
7,106 Posts
My dad as an aerospace engineer had to ask his boss for a raise so he could afford a five bedroom three bath house in East Anaheim, CA in 1961. Mortgage was $129.86 a month. Surrounded by orange groves and the Santa Ana River. Leaving Gardena, CA priceless!

CRAP! I just bought a CZ Shadow 2 today! Otherwise I would buy this as an investment.

Reactions: Karl Beining

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,618 Posts
Wow, beautiful and tempting. Not a good time for additional adoptions though. GLWS.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,618 Posts
Congrats to both. The 2nd gen was much better than the 3rd gen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts