Support your local gunfighter...and gun shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hunt5877, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    I feel like for me this message came too late but wanted to share my experience in hopes in might not happen to you and yours.

Over the last 5 years I've purchased a number of guns and used my local gun store / FFL to handle the transfers. They handled minor smith work for me and are the nicest guys.

Problem was they are a brick and mortar and subject to higher cost and in turn higher prices. I bought were I could direct from them sometimes paying 10% more just to give them the business. Unfortunately found out this week that I hadn't done my fair share and they would be closing the doors for good at the end of the month.

I'm gonna hate not having these guys there as a Bass Pro Shops will be the closest dealer in my area.

I should have given more thought to the total cost of not supporting the local independent businesses that supported 2A rights and peddled the goods I needed with a smile on their face.

I love the best price but just saying...

2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I agree with you. It’s a tough business (always has been) excluding the eight years of the Obama Presidency. At least in my area, gun shops popped up left & right during the Obama years. With the internet sales, a conservative in office (now), I believe a lot of those here today - gone tomorrow FFLs will fold their tents. I do hate to see the long time traditional gun shops close. I agree, support your LGS! Unfortunately, internet sales are impacting all kinds of business, not just gun stores. These times are a changin’.

3. FaaWrenchBender

FaaWrenchBender Active Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I lost my local shop, but it was due to the owner having a massive heart attack at 63. His widow tried to keep it going, but she closed the doors about nine months after Doug passed

4. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I support my lgs( my friend owns it) I could have had a huge discount(no sales tax + 10% off) by ordering from an out of state dealer.I prefer to be loyal to a friend and support his store. sale s are tough these days so my support is needed and will be given when I can afford to.

41 Charlie likes this.
  5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I do what I can but it's tough times right now. My guy isn't stocking a lot right now and what he does have he has more in them than what they're selling for in the current market.

Babboonbobo and 41 Charlie like this.
  6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Yes but unlike the others we have to have FFL's around to do our transfers. I've been using the same guy for so long that I don't know what I'd do without him..

Babboonbobo and 41 Charlie like this.
  7. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    Scary thought, but gun transfers can be accomplished at most Pawn Shops. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd sure hate to see my LGS go be the wayside.

8. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    I run into this a lot, too. It seems a lot of gun manufacturers have reduced their pricing, after the LGS made purchases at the higher prices.

Babboonbobo and studenygreg like this.
  9. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    There are also distributor pricing schemes that screw the little man.. They just cannot buy them for what the Big online places do.

41 Charlie likes this.
  10. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    You guys wouldn't imagine how hard it's been on the smaller guys here in NY since 2012, and all by design.

Babboonbobo and FWoo45 like this.
  11. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I think and believe that the only way to make decent living as being a LGS is to also have a range for patrons to shoot at.
    Here in South Florida, Gun World in Deerfield Beach does pretty well and if you live nearby or are visiting the area you should make it a point to stop by. Owned and operated by a great lady named Kim. They sell almost all brands with competitive priceing and also have over 100 guns to rent and try prior to purchase.
    Shoot straight also has some great LGS stores with ranges in the area here in SoFla as well.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  12. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    There are 2 locally owned shops within 50 miles that didn't try to butt-rape customers during the Obama panics and I've purchased guns, bullets, powder and primers from both of these.

I've also told them I was buying a gun from them because they didn't try to exploit their customers during a panic.

Now other stores - like Sportsman's Whorehouse, I could care less if they vanished. I've never purchased a gun from Cabelas or a similar sized chain because their prices suck. (full retail + seems to be the norm).

13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m in a bit of a different situation. My FFL actually is in it to just do transfers, it’s a small associated buyers business that’s been there as long as I can remember and the owner started doing transfers to bring in extra cash! It’s grest because the transfer is all he’s expecting from you.

I have a couple really nice shops within 50 miles of my home and a great shooting range at the club I belong to. I have purchased from the gun shops when I can but most don’t sell WHAT I BUY! I have them the option to get me a DW PM9 when I wanted one and after waiting for a couple months for them to locate me one I bought one online and transfer it through my receiving ffl!

We have lost the stand alone shops with no ranges over the last few years. The ones with shooting ranges are doing very well and there are a couple new ones built in the last two years.

14. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    There’s probably not one of us that hasn’t thought about owning a little gun store at one point or another. I think it’s like any other business, maybe a little tougher, but you get out of it what you put into it. You’re not going to succeed if you just open the door and wait for them to come to you. I would welcome transfers, push parts & accessories, buying and selling used guns, and internet sales. I would almost forget retail sales. Most of the small LGS around here aren’t very welcoming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Babboonbobo likes this.
  15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I know I have, well at least a nice indoor range. My town of pro gun citizens dies not have an indoor range closer than 30 miles but there’s 4 within 30-50 miles
    My town is the capital of our county and has about 27,500 population so a fair sized little town. We are badly in need of a nice range where people are safe, feel comfortable and welcomed, especially new shooters and woman! You’ve got to admit that most ranges are not set up for those groups. You’ve got to be a crotchety old man to be welcomed at most:rolleyes:
    When my wife joins me we have to drive the full 50 miles to Clelands outdoor in Toledo because that’s the only range she “feels comfortable” at:(

So yeah I think about it all the time:bored:

Slapshot likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted