Suppressing the 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Rezarf, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Rezarf

Rezarf Active Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I have always wanted to suppress a few of my 1911's. I love that the 45acp is already subsonic and I have heard a few cans that made the 45 super quiet...

I am wondering if it is as easy as a barrel swap? Or is there a trickle down reality to getting a 1911 to run reliably and smoothly with a fat can hanging off the front?

I would like to have a can dedicated to the 45acp, then I could suppress my Glock 21's, a few 1911's and buy that Kriss I have always had my eye on.

Who has been down this road? And what did it require to get one running besides fitting a new barrel?

Thanks in advance-

2. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    It's fun, particularly when shooting steel plates, but the thrill wears off after a while. But still fun. And no, it's not "hearing safe" regardless, but you can sure hear the steel ring a lot better when they are getting pounded with big old 45 slugs.

Rezarf likes this.

3. mlea5150

mlea5150 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I had this one built from scratch with the intention of suppressing it, but the threaded barrel is the only thing that differs from any other 1911. View attachment 218807

Rezarf likes this.
  4. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    My can lets my 1911 and CZs function without failure. The .45 can be fired on an indoor range and is very bearable without hearing protection. The sound of the round hitting the backstop is louder than the gas expansion. Outside it is even better.

Rezarf likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted