close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SureFire closeout

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Quack, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the heads-up, Don. :thumb:

Andy

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Those are some pretty good deals, but for the most part their all old lights. Lot of incandescent

4. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ Still decent to rock, for backups, especially - but also if your eyes just take better to "yellower" light. :smile:

But yep, with the newly available LEDs, particularly priced as the Streamlight models are, it's tough selling out the old stock of incandescents.

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    That's why its called "closeouts"

6. seanmac45

seanmac45 1911 Junkie

Aug 21, 2011
    Closeouts

I had converted two of my 6P's to LED with Cree conversion heads years ago.

Picked up two 6P Defenders and swapped those same two LED heads into them. VOILA! LED Defenders.

Great buys even without converting them.

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    yep, i'd go with a Cree conversion instead of Surefire's LED. I have a SF LED and don't like it compared to my Cree conversions.

if anything i'd buy the SF just for the host.

8. seanmac45

seanmac45 1911 Junkie

Aug 21, 2011
  9. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I keep running short of fun-funds to re-do my old SFs with Malkoff drop-ins....

seanmac, how durable are those DealExtreme drop-ins?

There's a guy on OFCC.org who was in the sandbox, using a standard incandescent G2 that he DIY-clamped to his gun, hundreds of rounds, without issues. :smile: I'm more comfortable with a known-quantity solution on a shotgun, but I am impressed to see how well a standard G2 fared.

I should just put my Mr.Bulk VIP on my AR..... :lol:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. seanmac45

seanmac45 1911 Junkie

Aug 21, 2011
    The two cree units that I am transferring to my new 6P Defenders are over three years old and running like striped apes.

I have no complaints, but I am not someone who measures lumens and shape of beam throws. The units work and provide all the light that I could reasonably expect from a handheld light. I paid $14 apiece years ago and they are down to 7 and change now.

To me they are well worth the money.

11. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ That's good enough of an endorsement for me. :smile: Thank you.

I removed myself from the flashlight hobby about the same time I got out of the knife hobby - both around 2004 or so. I was a student then, and soon after that, my daughter was born, so I have not had a chance, until just recently (more for utility and practical need than anything else) re-started on the flashlights again. Back then, yes, it was fun to look at throw, spread, pick over the smallest artifacts and all that good stuff, and I've got a small but nice collection of custom flashlights that I prize, but now, it's all about utility.

My eyes really take better to straw/firelight colored illumination, but I currently favor LEDs for their durability and run-time. Since my old G2s and Z2/C2s are true "emergency use" items (I've got plenty of other utilitarian and also "fun" lights to have, around the house, for the normal summer-storm blackouts :wink:), having decent drop-in LED stars for them will really help their actual utility.

So, really, thank you! Those DealExtreme units are much more affordable than the fancy Malkoffs, and I'll get what I need to retrofit my G2s, Z2/C2s, right now! I'll likely eventually get one of the Milkoffs, but that'll be more for fun. :smile:

12. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Just wanted to post an update.

I received the DealExtreme SKU#6076 CREE drop-in this past week. I finally got a chance to drop it into my old C2/Z2 and give it a spin.

I'm actually honestly really impressed that something that affordable can render such good performance. The color was a cool white, pleasantly no bluer than the star in my Surefire Z2S-LED, which was a surprise (I'd expected it to be either blue or green). The nicest surprise was perhaps that the beam was actually considerably tighter than with my Z2S-LED, with a noticeably longer throw - albeit with the usual "CREE-ring" artifact, but was, nevertheless, quite impressive given the item's low price-tag. It pales against the throwers, like the Surefire KX2C, but that's comparing a drop-in module that's barely $8 to something that's $140 to $150 on the open market...just not quite fair. :wink:

Something that I was rather disappointed with was the overall build-quality - but for $8, shipped, it's hard to complain. Yet, at the same time, what I saw would give me serious pause in using this item in a true life-or-death situation: the board came apart from the heat-sink with just a soft tug on the rear spring.... Sure, that's simple to fix, but it makes me wonder about the rest of the components and workmanship. I guess the acid-test would be to strap one on to my 870 and let it rock through a day's worth of running-and-gunning, and I think I *will* do this when I get a chance to take a shotgun course in the near future (I already have a Surefire 618LM on my 870, but strapping this thing on as a tester shouldn't be much more of a chore, as I can pop it in one of my old G2s, which won't weigh much).

For now, I'm happy having it take residence in the C2/Z2 that I keep in my trunk as an emergency light. Yes, I know, I just said up top that I would not trust this light with my life, and here I am, putting it into an "emergency use" category - WTF? right? Actually, I've also got a Surefire L6 in the trunk, as well as a spare P60 bulb, so no matter what, I'm pretty covered (and that doesn't even count the Fenix P2D in the cabin, or what I'm carrying on me :lol:).

I'll feel better after I've given this thing the full shakedown. Until then, I'm going to also put in an order for a 06090, a 11621, and 11836. I've got a few more 2x and 3x CR123 Surefires laying around the house that I want to play around with (one of which has a customized KL3 head that makes for an awesome "room light"). :smile:

Thanks again, seanmac45, for your advice!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted