close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Surefire EarPro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polizei1, Oct 1, 2011.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I think is was Kndrgr that recommended I try these a while ago. Well, it just so happens that I got a pair for free last night, and MAN these things are awesome! They are REALLY comfortable and cut out noise very well. However, with the "stopper" open you can hear conversations just fine.

The best part is they're only $15 too! Well worth it IMO. They are also rated at 24 NRR with the stoppers inserted. If you're looking for cheap, good ear pro I suggest trying these.

I tried the Sonic Defender Plus, but they have 2 other options as well.

http://www.surefire.com/EP4-Sonic-Defenders-Plus

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i've been using them for a while and recommended them to knedrgr.

3. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Interesting, I hadn't hard of these before (no pun intended, haha). I may have to try some.

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    the EP3 uses the Hocks Noise Braker.
    http://www.noisebrakers.com/noise_braker®

I originally picked them up to wear when riding my motorcycle, and work because i couldn't hear with the foam plugs.

I know that FFF has them and i think Vance's has them as well

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Sure you did. Just take the credit. I had a pair but my son stole them and then lost them. Need to get another set.

6. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Been wearing them for a while now, Few years. Shop I worked at in HS was a Surefire dealer and we got them as prototype/Trial samples. Only plugs I use now

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    They are great plugs. No batteries to deal with, no need to remove headset. Plus, if I'm shooting carbine, the head set just hit my stock. And no need to remove plug to listen to conversation. I had picked up a couple of sets for use.

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    when was the last time you shot a carbine? :lol:

9. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I came to the EarPros by way of Quack and knedrgr, too. :smile:

They were a great relief in the suffocatingly humid and hot outdoor class that I took last month. I still prefer electronic over-the-ear muffs, but I quickly ditched them for the EarPros as the day wore on and I really started sweating!

You'll want to have a good case for them, so that you can quickly tuck them away in a pocket or something, particularly if your instructor is soft-spoken. They case they come with is OK, at-best.

Commonly yelled range commands/instructions as well as raised-voice conversations that are so common at classes carry through the Noise Breakers very well.

They're not a cure-all, though.

If your favorite stomping grounds are indoor ranges, you'll still want a set of traditional muffs. Actually, what I like to do is to put the EarPros (with the plugs uncorked) under a set of electronic muffs, to take away even more of the shock. I really love this setup because I get to keep an ear out for the rest of the yahoos, and yet be in total comfort.

10. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    2 years ago? :lol:

11. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I really wanna do a carbine class.

I wasn't ready for Ron's last go-around. I'm now itching for one. :smile:

It looks like interest for Ron's handgun classes are always falling on its face :cry: - anyone interested in booking him for a private engagement on carbines?

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I wear them too (EP3s). Love them.

[​IMG]

13. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    So what is the difference between the EP3/4/6?

14. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    The 4 are for larger ear canals.

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've heard good things about these; I'm going to try some out.

Thanks for the reviews. :thumb:

Andy

16. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    And IIRC, the EP6 is just a re-make of the 3, albeit with "Signature" black inserts with silver plugs.

17. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Yup

18. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    How do you know what size you are without trying them out?

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    From what I understand, the vast majority of people will do well with the 3 - only those with very large ear canals will need the 4.

Besides, these things are very resonably priced: they're reusable, but disposable.

That said, I've worn my EP3s now, off-and-on, about once a month for ~5 hours or so, since March. They still feel nice and pliable, there's nothing yucky growing on them, and they still seal out sound.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  20. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Actually, there are S M and L in each of the model. I have a pair of EP6 Smalls for motorcycle, and a pair of EP6 Mediums for the range.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted