Votes: 10 62.5%
  • S&W

Votes: 6 37.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm looking to pick up another 1911 and I'm trying to decide between these two. Which one do you guys like and why? Each gun is below. Both have Trijicon night sights, ambi safety, and rails. The Springfield does not have front strap checkering but the S&W does. I've also heard the Springfield has their slides made in Brazil but wanted to verify as this would be a big turnoff. Please let me know what you guys think.

Gun Firearm Trigger Black Gun accessory

Gun Ammunition Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
That is a tough call but the springer wins out by a hair.

Springfields quality, QC and customer service is no where near what it once was or what it should be (IMO).

Not sure where SW is on the quality these days but they, unless things have changed, have external extractors which is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Springfield forgings are from Brazil. I prefer the Springer over the S&W because I greatly prefer internal extractors over external extractors. Problems with internal extractors can be addressed by non-gunsmiths but there is little to nothing us common folk can do with external extractors. Having said that, S&W figured out how to do external extractors the right way years ago so they have few issues. Still, I like to have the option to tune my extractors as I desire.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all of your inputs, I have more to think about. I'm going to be at my LGS this week for training so I'll try to look at any Springfields they have and talk to the guys there and pick their brain on it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on the age of the Springer. They moved all of the production to the US a few years ago.

The textured serrations and external extractor on the S&W are a no go for me.
Do you know if there is a way I can verify that this model is all made in U.S.? It's a bit of a deal-breaker to have a gun that expensive be made on foreign soil.

·
Registered
757 Posts
My all US SA Operator has an NM prefix serial number.
Alloy framed SA 1911’s are prefixed LW.
Custom shop guns are prefixed CMG, something. I know it’s 3 letters lol.

Brazilian Guns will have BRAZIL stamped on the frame, and no NM prefix.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My all US SA Operator has an NM prefix serial number.
Alloy framed SA 1911’s are prefixed LW.
Custom shop guns are prefixed CMG, something. I know it’s 3 letters lol.

Brazilian Guns will have BRAZIL stamped on the frame, and no NM prefix.
Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out when I go this week.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
The Springfield forgings are from Brazil. I prefer the Springer over the S&W because I greatly prefer internal extractors over external extractors. Problems with internal extractors can be addressed by non-gunsmiths but there is little to nothing us common folk can do with external extractors. Having said that, S&W figured out how to do external extractors the right way years ago so they have few issues. Still, I like to have the option to tune my extractors as I desire.
S&W had not figured out external extractors back when they were making their 3rd gen pistols in calibers larger than 9mm. I shipped 4 of my pistols back to them for failures to extract issues. They never got any of them working to a level that I trusted them very much. I sold those guns.

As you state, the owner of a decent 1911 with an internal extractor can get them running great.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
S&W had not figured out external extractors back when they were making their 3rd gen pistols in calibers larger than 9mm. I shipped 4 of my pistols back to them for failures to extract issues. They never got any of them working to a level that I trusted them very much. I sold those guns.

As you state, the owner of a decent 1911 with an internal extractor can get them running great.
I actually have an E series S&W with the external extractor and I will say that I've never had an extraction issue in the ~2500 rounds I put through it. How long ago did you have yours?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I like the TRP, I sent mine to the custom shop for a bunch of upgrades, about $600 worth. It is now one of the finest 1911s I've ever owned.

View attachment 370577
I like the way you got rid of the Forward Serations....been thinking about that myself.

No as for which is the best....I will admit I have a SA TRP and a 2nd Gen Lwt Compact....most Likely Sa's offering for a CCO.....Both have been flawless.

What do I carry daily....S&W Pro Series Subcompact 1911 and I have never had an issue with it as well.

Karsten

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I voted S&W nice shooting and the ones I’ve owned have been ultra reliable.
Owned a S&W E Seris SC for a while never an issue very accurate also. Only time I’ve used S&W customer service was to purchase mags for a 3913 and Grips for a 640.
Honestly I don’t think either is a bad choice, If the SA model you listed would have been the newer version MC Operator, Id have voted that way. Sweet pistol but different front strap treatment then most others,
Go with your first choice

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.