Tactical Flashlights

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Blayglock, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    After taking Inpax's 2-Day handgun course (AAR Incoming) I decided to take the low-light shooting course they are offering next month. Now I need a tactiacl flashlight but Im not paying Surefire prices. Any suggestions? I was think about getting a Fenix.

2. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Fenixs are just fine. :smile: As-are 4Sevens' lights. You can probably also get the imported NovaTac Special Ops for under $40, too. Also, I'd check into Streamlight's offerings, if you want to buy American: their products are way underrated by the tacticool community, and their C/S is on-par with Surefire's.

Stay simple with the switchgear - single-mode is probably best for "tactical" use, especially in terms of the classroom. I really like the fast-pulse strobe for disorientation, but if it takes your chosen light three or four presses at the switchgear to actuate that mode, then it's probably not going to be useful at all.

3. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks Allen. I'm looking for a simple light that will only be nightstand. I want a 1 click on/off bright enough to blind someone. Pretty straight forward.

I guess I should not be surprised but I found out during my initial search that there is an entire flashlight subculture Lol. That's how I came about the Fenix lights. You are the 2nd person to tell me about the 4sevens as well.

4. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This light subculture is interesting to me. I've noticed a HUGE boom in tactical lights in just the past year.

5. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
  6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Candlepower has waaaaaaaaaaay too much info on flashlights. That is plain scary. :rofl2:

For what it's worth...Fenix PD30R4. 265 lumens of hella brightness. If its not in my back pocket, it's on my nightstand. Think I paid $65 for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I agree they are flashlight nerds, but you can often find great deals on stuff.

8. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    That is who I was referring too earlier. Who knew a flashlight beam had so many technical terms to describe it Lol.

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Seriously? A forum for doing nothing but talking about something non-stop. They probably post lots of pics and congratulate each other. What a bunch of nerds. I bet there is a lot of this going on. Glad we aren't like that. :rofl2:

[​IMG]

10. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    If you keep an eye out there you can find someone who upgraded a light and will sell it for a discount.

11. nomad

nomad Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Between your avatar and the ball polishing your starting to scare me..:animlol:

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. :tongueout:

13. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    :lol::pound::grin::rofl2:

Glad to help out!!!! I am one of those flashlight nerds. :tongue: My involvement in the hobby ended at around 2003/4, though, so it's funny because you can literally "date" my involvement in it by the collection of lights I own. My Surefire L6 was state-of-the-art at that time, and retailed for nearly $300...that kind of output can easily be had with a $9 WalMart/Target pickup, now. :der::frusty::lol:

If you're looking for a bedside, the Fenix/4Sevens or Streamlight offerings will work really, really well. As long as you keep them on their high/"tactical" setting for those bump-in-the-night moments, remembering to reset to those after you may have used it for some under-bed or way-in-the-back-of-the-drawers/closet searching, you're not only good-to-go, but you'll see that they are also so tremendously useful for such little tasks: not to even mention their extremely healthy run-times for overnight power outages. :thumb:

I can literally fall anywhere in my house and land on some kind of really nice high-end-production/custom flashlight. With that in-mind, I've got a Fenix in the basement, one in the living room (OK, it belongs to my daughter, but don't tell her I use it!), one out in the garage, and another in our bedroom (not counting the multiples in each of our vehicles, for emergency use). That should help ease your mind.

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
  15. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Yea lol but flashlight?!? Just didn't know there was that much to talk about

16. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Agree with Chuck. If I didn't have a Fenix, I'd most likely go with a 4Sevens. Heard nothing but good stuff about them. :thumb:

17. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    They make custom lights!!!! So there is like the Wilson Combat of the flashlight world! :waaaht:

18. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ I kid y'all not. :smile:

It's just like anything else out there - there's a hobby for it! :lol:

And as-with many things, a lot of good stuff start from the custom side of the house. A lot of what was new back in the middle part of this decade was stuff that could only be had with custom builders - hobbyists and enthusiasts - price-be-damned. And a lot of what is now commonly had was, 7 or 8 years ago, things that would literally cost an arm and a leg.

I literally re-started in this hobby only about 2 and 1/2 or 3 years ago: I was at a point where I needed a couple of new flashlights around the house. Seriously, when my first Fenix P2D arrived and I turned it on, I was, like, "holy ^&%#! - this thing only cost $40?" :rofl: It's brighter than my $300 Surefire L6! :lol:

19. dtshd

dtshd Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I am a fan of Fenix, have one of their smaller light since 2007, carry it everyday and still working great.

Check out the for sale section at candleforum, there are always members selling their flash lights to upgrade to the next best thing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted