1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions cause my fingers are feeling beat up and I'm cussing lol. I enjoy cleaning my guns after a trip to the range but my 9mm nighthawk is a pain to take down. Even with the plastic bushing wrench it's a tough job that I feel takes much longer than it should. Any tricks to getting tight guns apart? My .45 nighthawk is tight but nothing like the 9mm gun. My cat even knows I'm feeling frustrated so he came to help.

Attachments

·
Codename Duchess
3,930 Posts
Bring it slightly out of battery with one hand and use the bushing wrench with the other hand. Then you're only turning against the slide fit, not the slide and barrel.

Or, remove the slide stop and slide the whole top off capturing the spring and guide rod underneath. Remove the guide rod, spring, spring plug, push barrel slightly forward out of the bushing and use wrench to remove bushing.

I personally like the second method as it requires less coordination.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Holy smokes saw this and gun was apart in no time. Thanks for sharing!
It sure helped me, so I like sharing it with others

One extra thing I do is flip the thumb safety ON before putting the slide stop in as it takes some tension off the plunger spring. Then flip if OFF to move the slide back to push the slide stop the rest of the way in.

·
Premium Member
30,453 Posts
Sterling nailed it. I do have a few additions that work for me.

Take the slide out of battery and insert an empty casing in the chamber, smokestack positioning. This positions the bushing over a slightly smaller area of the barrel. This is a MUST if you are dealing with a Colt collet bushing.

Lately, I have simply been retracting the slide and removing the slide stop. Then remove the entire slide assembly. I install the same way.

There really is no best way to do it, you just need to find the way that BEST works for you. Also take a look on YouTube. There are a lot of videos, you may pick up a tip or two there as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.