Colt Talk me out of Colt GCNM .45 (O5870A1)

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by tgoldie00, Feb 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    LGS has one...new production, blue (I love blue 1911s). I know at the ~$1200 price point there are others out there (DW specifically, which I am a fan of - I have owned several and still have a Guardian 9mm I adore), but something in me is itching for another COLT.

Anyone out there have this recent-production Series 70 that they can speak to? I am going to take a look at it today or tomorrow and get a feel for if it's fit and finish is up to par.

General consenous seems to favor this pistol overall....so just looking for folks who have these verus, say, a DW A2 Blue (which can also be had fairly easily).

xerts1191 and Slapshot like this.
  2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    DW all day.. everyday not even close.

3. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I think the Wiley Clapp is the best colt out there right now if you really want a pony

The A2 is an awesome gun as well

You can’t really go wrong!

4. hotshot357

hotshot357 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Well, I don't have a DW A2 but I do have a GCNM. It is a great gun! Here lately I have been looking for a good buy on a A2. I'm going to have both,problem solved!!!! View attachment 220705

5. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I love my Colts, even compared to my two DW's. The production Colts are not the equals of the DW but my SCGM is. If it calls to you, answer.

6. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    and that is precisely what I am looking at later...lol.

7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    The last one I bought was a Series 70 Colt Government Level III which is a Custom Shop gun. I've been on a quest to move away from .45's and have been shooting 9mm more often than not lately. I shot the Colt the other day for the first time in a long time and was amazed at how well it shot and how soft the recoil was. That's one .45 I'm not selling.

8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    If you're looking for people to talk you out of buying a new 1911 you've come to the wrong place. I've bought a number of new Colts in the last few years and they've all been great guns. I like the new S70 Gold Cups, you could do a helluva lot worse.

Nothing wrong with DWs, and nothing wrong with wanting something else.

9. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    I am not really looking for an out...lol. I am trying not to add this one to the safe in midst of moving and having just purchased a new home.....BUT...the shop knows I am a sucker for Colts, and blue ones at that...so it will taunt me....and I will likely buy it...assuming it checks out.

10. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    What Dan Wesson has the same features as the Colt you are considering? The A2 does not. The reason why I ask is there have been times in the past where I considered pistols with different configurations trying to find a middle ground. That was expensive, because I would end up dissatisfied with whichever I purchased and sell it. This happened many times.

I would recommend that you decide on features, compare apples to apples, and then purchase the best one.

ronin11, cgff, Old Sea Dragon and 4 others like this.
  11. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    They are lovely pistols. I bought one in 2015. The fit and finish on mine are very nice. Plop it in a Ransom Rest and I can get sub 3 inch groups at 50 yards if I play with the ammunition. Here it is with my old 79 which I bought new in 79.

[​IMG]

Mine came with an extra spring with the green on the end for target ammo and two different mags; one in 7 round and one in 8 round. In 2017 I bought one of the 9mm ones. Here with my 2015 in 45ACP.

[​IMG]

Another lovely pistol. Here I got two 9mm mags in SS and only one spring; the green one which is in the pistol.

[​IMG]

So I am not the best person to talk you out of it.

BillKilgore, ronin11, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  12. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    I picked it up this afternoon! Everything looks good objectively. Function checks are good, and she’s been stripped, cleaned, and oiled.

I did a wee bit of trigger adjustment to clean up just the slightest overtravel (now a thing of the past) and it’s ready to do! VERY nice factory trigger on this copy (not unusual for the model from what I read). Pull is light and break is crisp. No complaints there.

I will try to sneak out to the range tonight and give her a run...pictures to accompany then!

Fred_G, Lou1, ronin11 and 5 others like this.
  13. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Well done .I like my Colts as well glad you're satisfied . Congratulations .

tgoldie00 and hotshot357 like this.
  14. hotshot357

hotshot357 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2018
    We will be looking forward to the range report and pics. Congrats!!!

tgoldie00 likes this.
  15. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    [​IMG]

Just before the initial 150 rounds...

149 good, one FTF (nose dive) on the ETM mag, which was the 2nd magazine through the pistol. I would call this a very successful first outing.

Of the late model Colts I have shot lately, this one takes the cake! Recoil is relatively soft (even compared to my M45A1 which I am still trying to figure out), trigger is truly great by most any production 1911 standard.

This one is a winner for me...and restores a good bit of faith in the factory Colt in my eye.

cwoods, Lou1, BillKilgore and 2 others like this.
  16. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    My father in law had a beautiful Gold Cup and when he died it disappeared, I'd always wanted it and my wife knew that, are there better 1911s out there? I'm sure there is, but just something about the Colt GC that I like so with my 30th wedding anniversary coming up my wife asked me what I wanted and I told her I'd really like a Colt GC like her father had so she had me show her several on Gunbroker. Hopefully that's what I'm getting as a gift from her next month,,,, we'll see!

Old Sea Dragon and tgoldie00 like this.
  17. 9mmContagion

9mmContagion Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Nice pick up OP. I bought a new production GCNM in 9mm. In all honesty, I wasn’t impressed by it when I first picked it up. But being in California, the ability to obtain Colts is very slim as they’re not on our approved handgun roster. I reluctantly overpaid... Bluing is beautiful, but the thing that bugged me most, was the play of the trigger in the trigger track. Easily fixed with a new trigger. Bummed it only came with one mag.

Overall though, it did fix that itch!

tgoldie00 likes this.
  18. tgoldie00

Jan 9, 2018
    Interesting note about Colt triggers and the rattle. It’s definitely a thing. Do I notice it when at the range and I get a clean break, no, but to your point it is there!

One other thing about both late-model Colts I have (and several others I have been in and out of over the last few years)...safety over-travel. Drives me nuts! Again, no functional impact whatsoever...just little things on “fancier” 1911s that one doesn’t see.

There is still something about a Colt that goes beyond the name. Call it an aesthetic or a feel (and on stainless Colts, perhaps a sharp edge or two)

19. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Well today was my 30th wedding anniversary and the wife did good, she got me a Colt GC Trophy and it came with some mammoth Ivory grips also, Love the pistol, now I just got to get out an shoot it some. I do wish it came with some dotted sights but that's and easy fix down the road. It's used but in great shape, don't think it was ever slid into a holster. 1911 GCT.jpg

UBOATDOC, Fred_G, Yoemen66 and 5 others like this.
  20. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Nice, Now get out there and throw some lead down range with that baby!

21. GA 1911

GA 1911 Colt 1911 Government Supporting Addict

Feb 6, 2016
    That is one great gun. I noticed the stainless magazine above with doesn't match but works great with the gun.

I've never seen one with those stocks, but they sure are nice. The ~ivory stocks make for good pictures. I have some. Great gift.

I bought this 2010 Colt Gold Cup Trophy (stainless with the extra mag and spring). I carry it every day in my car, and it is very accurate for me.
    GCT2017.JPG GCT2017a.JPG

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted