Taran Tactical

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Robert Gatewood, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Robert Gatewood

Robert Gatewood New Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Is there some secret handshake that I have to be taught to get a response from someone at Taran Tactical?

I received my order on April 6th I think and none of the magazines work in my 2011. I'm new to the pistol so I assumed it was either me or the gun. Did some learning and now I'm pretty sure I received SVI mags as a mistake. I sent an e-mail and waited the 7+ days, no response. I've logged onto my account with them and left a message with no respone for a week. I try to call and never get a response.

I just want to shoot my new pistol.

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

SVI mags should work without modification or issues. SVI/STI was, at one time, the same company.

What is the issue you are having?

Have you picked up the phone or tried their facebook or other social media accounts?

3. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    As stated, I've called multiple times with no answer. You're also the first person I've found that said it should work, but that may be a function of how I've searched.

The cut out on the magazines is curved/oval as opposed to square like the STI magazine. The release never seats to the magazine go all the way up to the ejector. Doesn't matter if the slide is on it or not.

I know some people have modded SVI magazines to work, but I'd rather not start cutting the magazines if I got the wrong ones.

4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    That is incorrect. SVI changed their magazines some years ago and they are not compatible without modification.

Can you take pictures of your magazines?

Also have you reached out to STI the maker of the gun? It carries a lifetime warranty. STI will always make it right.

BBP likes this.
  5. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Also what is going on when you say none of the magazines will work?

6. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    It was a different builder on an STI frame. Their stance was the same, SVI mags won't work.

I'll get some pictures of the magazines, by "not work" I mean that the will not engage the magazine release (I can get one to, but it's rough) and the magazines stick in the grip.

I haven't tried putting any rounds in it.

The 126mm magazines that came with the pistol that are stamped STI work without issue.

7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Have you checked the TTT gunsmithing catalog ?
    Page 1723589
    All purpose magazine seater

8BA24C6C-1E33-4F76-9F4C-6771D08FB895.png
    Send cash

FWoo45, wrmiller, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.
  8. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    I mean, that'd probably work.....

Once.

gun_fan111 and tac45 like this.
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    That is painful, I assume you paid a premium for these mags too while STI actually dropped their prices and their OEM magazines are reasonably prices now.

10. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    Yea.

Local guy insisted it was the best deal, and it probably was if I got the right mags with Taran guts.

wrmiller likes this.
  11. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I stand corrected.. It appears they came out with a Gen2 in 2017.

12. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    Amazingly enough, shortly after making this thread Taran Tactical contacted me. Supposedly they are working on my issue, but I got the "Please wait 3-7 days" for a response message again so we'll see.

Pictures of mags for the curious.

Attached Files:

13. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Ha! No doubt those are SVI mags. They’re worth about $70+ per mag more than the STI’s.

wrmiller likes this.
  14. Robert Gatewood

Mar 29, 2019
    I'll sell them to you for the low low.

Lol.

wrmiller likes this.
  15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    If Taran is giving you the runaround, I’ll swap them out with STI’s for you.

wrmiller likes this.