Tax on Internet Ammo Purchases

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by JNW, May 10, 2019.

1. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I've been buying cases of Blazer 9mm from Target Sport USA for several years and have been happy with their prices and service. Last week I went to place an order and as I was about to finish I saw that they have started charging shipping insurance and sales tax. This makes their ammo relatively expensive. Where are you all buying ammo online? Is everyone going to start charging tax?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    That's the trend, Supreme Court ruling last June, wasn't ammo specific, it was everything sold on the internet.

Babboonbobo and simonp like this.

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Yep, a CPA shooting buddy confirmed that for me a little while back.

4. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Yep you’re out of luck avoiding taxes from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fallenangelhim likes this.
  5. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    That’s what I was afraid of. I did find another supplier who wasn’t charging tax yet. Might be time to stock up on ammo.
    Jeff

6. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Kind of odd some do some do not. I use a BOT to search for ammo and always look before I buy as to who charges and who does not. Bought several items yesterday all out of my State and no tax. Not ammo though.

7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I assume it’s only a matter of time until all online retailers charge tax. Don’t know if any govt agencies are overseeing this, much less enforcing the law yet. I’ll keep shopping hard to not pay tax. Being a highly educated professional with no kids I feel as if I already pay more than my share!
    Jeff

simonp likes this.
  8. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Best solution is move to a state with no sales tax.

:cool:

techiede and simonp like this.
  9. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    only if it doesn't cost anything to move

10. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Yep, my recent delivery from Target Sports came with tax.

Given the ever-increasing size of the online retail market, it’s inevitable that taxes will be levied.

Also, if an online retailer (eg Amazon) has any form of physical presence in your state (warehouse, distribution center, etc) then anything you buy from them is an “in state” purchase and you’re taxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Babboonbobo likes this.
  11. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Received my shipment yesterday. Case of 45acp and couple boxes of 44 mag. No tax. Now you all got me feeling guilty. I’ll make sure I fill in that little special use tax on next years state taxes. :cigar:

12. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
  13. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
  14. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Thanks for the link. Nice to see it’s not fair, just like everything else in life. Minnesota is already one of the most heavily taxed states and our government never misses an opportunity to gouge us. Remember, work hard and pay your taxes. Millions on government support depend on you!
    Jeff

Babboonbobo and Glock2740 like this.
  15. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    Gov will get their pound of flesh in every way they can. At this point I just accept that 50% of what I have is there’s and the other 50% is my wife’s....

...You see what that leaves me with...

JNW, simonp and jfbong1911 like this.
  16. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    A bunch of 1911s for sale? Lol

17. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea, well there’s that! :o.o:

18. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    Well said.:grin: I got rid of mine ,the 50% wife.:)

RatBikeRod likes this.
  19. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I just buy my ammo locally at Walmart and rural king unless I need something special. It usually ends up about the same as online for me plus I carry it home right then.

As far as government they will leave no opportunity to steal our money unexploited! Bastards! Then also once they get it, they never let that pipeline go. Like school taxes, your city approves a school tax then the immediately put another on the ballot! If that one fails then the make it a larger levy, if that fails they declare it an emergency and continue getting more ruthless until they basically force it down your throat:mad::mad::mad:

THEN......once they get it, they immediately start over again! Double bastards! This is the same for all taxes in my area.

20. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Breathe, breathe....

Busa Dave likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted