Dan Wesson TCP Worth It?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by SLIDER, Feb 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SLIDER

SLIDER New Member

Jan 26, 2019
    If there's any TCP owners on here, could you please chime in with your experience with the new DW TCP?

I was extremely close to ordering one in 9mm, to use as a carry gun. I like the modern styling, etc, and DW has a great reputation. Though today on the 1911forum, a member posted a not so good review, where he encountered numerous issues, including the slide to frame fit having noticeable play just after the 500rd break-in. I know aluminum frames aren't as strong as steel, but is it normal to see play after such a low round count?

I can't respond to the threads on the 1911forum, as I've always had issues registering there. I'm never able to receive the activation e-mails. Figured a lot of the same members are on this forum as well anyway.

I hope it's just a case of bad luck on that particular unit, and not an issue with the TCP model. I'm so close to buying one, I would just hate to have buyers remorse on a $1600 pistol.

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    :popcorn:

1L26 likes this.

3. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    That is some delicious popcorn - the smell made me pop in to check this thread out!

As far as the topic, I own two DWs with aluminum frames and did not notice any changes in slide/frame fit in either one. They are safe queens though and neither one had over 250 rounds through. Both run just fine.

SLIDER likes this.
  4. nix_gary

nix_gary Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I got to handle one at the nra meetings and was impressed but personally I would opt for the new offering from Ed Brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLIDER likes this.
  5. SLIDER

SLIDER New Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Me too lol... A rep at grabagun told me they had sold like 18 TCP's in just a couple days, so I know people are buying them. Just really curious to know what people think about it after that "new gun" hype has worn off.

6. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I don't have any skin in this game, but lack of lube can and will turn a nice pistol to junk in a short time. Wear is accelerated and inevitable.

SLIDER likes this.
  7. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    I've owned an ECO (aluminum framed, 3.5") since 04/16. I carried it daily & have 1024 rnds through it (so far). I tend to run my guns wet & I've had ZERO issues with it, running all types of ammo. I'd say go for it.

George

rod442 and SLIDER like this.
  8. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    I have the ECP in 9mm and have had no issues in the 1500 ish rounds through it so far. Very accurate, shoots exactly where it is pointed, though not always pointed exactly where I want. Sample of one.

SLIDER likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted