1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to create an advanced search for classifieds and somehow "save" it so that it's constantly running and will hit me via email and DM if something pops up that meets those qualifiers? I'm tired of missing out on items I've been hunting and seeking simply because I'm not one of the seemingly very large number of people who never take their eyes off that classifieds forum for more than a few minutes at a time!

Even if there is some 3rd part application that can perform this task I'd like to hear about it!

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I have wondered the same thing.
Best Ive been able to come up with is follow the entire classifieds so I get an email anytime something twitches in the classifieds.
Its alot of emails lol. I went to unfollow a couple times but turns out I dont have the ability to push the button.
The feeling Im going to miss something is overwhelming. :ROFLMAO:
Hell of a deal Ill tell you.

Reactions: DWPW and simonp

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Can you follow the entire classifieds, as @Heavy Industries said, then adjust the filters/alerts of your email client per your search criteria?

In other words, the forum will send you an email when anything is added to the classifieds, and your email client will scan those emails for your keywords and only put the messages with matches in your inbox.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Might be a long shot but if you are interested in programming you could write a program using selenium web driver and Java that would do the trick. You could even go as far as having the program post “I’ll take it” if it’s something you want.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Might be a long shot but if you are interested in programming you could write a program using selenium web driver and Java that would do the trick. You could even go as far as having the program post “I’ll take it” if it’s something you want.
Oh lordie, 1 glitch and you would get home one day and be the proud new father of 6 nighthawks and 3 Tisas.
Set up auto pay while your at it for the bonus effect! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
@Falkor_shooter , I love your idea! Just send me your search words and CC limit. I got me some ads to write :cool:

·
Registered
505 Posts
yeah when you do a search in the classifieds and then examine the url string it looks like who ever built the site made sure you can't do that easily unless you script it like was said above

for example:

a search for korth in the classifieds

***korth&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=20&o=relevance"

and a search for nighthawk

*** nighthawk&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=20&o=relevance"

you will notice they have the respective words in the search you see the nighthawk and the korth word above in the url string but what's interesting is if you change the name in the url string to lets say guncrafter it still searches for the original search ie if the last search was korth. but if you change the word AND increment the number after the /search/"number"

ie see below:

***[URLunfurl="true"]Search threads[/URL]239599/q=guncrafter&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=20&o=relevance"

then it would actually invoke a new search. If you were to script that you would have to keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Since I can live a day in the future. I'll look at the classifieds tonight and decide if I need to be here tomorrow to say "I'll Take It"

Temple Plant Magenta Event Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You could reach out the mods to see if the site has any existing API’s that support this.

It starts to get a little more technical after that, but you can program an API to constantly refresh and search for your designated criteria.

That being said, the owners of the site might not, and probably, wouldn’t allow the integration for a few reasons.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have wondered the same thing.
Best Ive been able to come up with is follow the entire classifieds so I get an email anytime something twitches in the classifieds.
Its alot of emails lol. I went to unfollow a couple times but turns out I dont have the ability to push the button.
The feeling Im going to miss something is overwhelming. :ROFLMAO:
Hell of a deal Ill tell you.
DONE. Thanks!

Can you follow the entire classifieds, as @Heavy Industries said, then adjust the filters/alerts of your email client per your search criteria?

In other words, the forum will send you an email when anything is added to the classifieds, and your email client will scan those emails for your keywords and only put the messages with matches in your inbox.
DONE. Thanks!

You could reach out the mods to see if the site has any existing API’s that support this.

It starts to get a little more technical after that, but you can program an API to constantly refresh and search for your designated criteria.

That being said, the owners of the site might not, and probably, wouldn’t allow the integration for a few reasons.
Okay now we're well beyond my scope of expertise and most certainly beyond the limits of my need or dedication lol.... But thanks for the fun!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
DONE. Thanks!

DONE. Thanks!

Okay now we're well beyond my scope of expertise and most certainly beyond the limits of my need or dedication lol.... But thanks for the fun!
Yeah I figured its better to get a notification every time something is posted, bumped, or reduced rather then miss the one unicorn item (to me) that I may not know I even want yet. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts