In the news Technology, Luddites & other

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by Scaramouche, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    An article appeared in the New York Times on new years eve regarding the number of attacks self driving cars were receiving in Chandler AZ. People rushing up to an idling driverless van at an intersection and slashing the tires, driverless vehicles being pelted with stones, a woman coming out of her house to scream at a driverless van to leave her neighborhood and never come back. Some nut job purposely attempting to drive a driverless vehicle off the road. Guy would drive up in front of one, swing into it's lane and jam on his brakes. Another irresponsible gun owner waved and pointed his .22 caliber revolver at the back-up human riding in the driverless vehicle

The article went on to talk about the engineers in these vehicles being threatened with physical harm at stop lights and not at stop lights. There are even people engaged in hacking the driverless cars sensors to cause them to crash and/or malfunction.

fzsgz7dcojvj9c6oix2r.gif

The article got me thinking about the Luddites, a secret oath based organization of 19th century textile workers who's main mission in life was to destroy the newly designed and installed textile machines and looms cause they thought the machines would steal away their livelihood.

What are the people of Chandler AZ thinking? Is it something in the water? 21 attacks on driverless cars in a year.

When Edward Abbey came out with his book The Monkey Wrench Gang (which is all about this kind of mischief) I wrote him and had a brief correspondence to better understand the intent and message of that book. And while George Hayduke may think burning billboards out in the desert will save the desert and blowing up Glen Canyon Dam will save the Colorado, he got it wrong then and it's still wrong now.

Today I learned that the Chinese Moon Rover has started growing cotton on the moon, yes, inside the Rover but think about it. You have some folks in Chandler AZ stoning driverless vehicles...stoning...like in the bible in biblical times, stoning the thing they are against.

And in the meantime the Chinese have transported cotton seeds to the moon, have an irrigation system to water the seeds and the technology to watch the growth of these seeds. I think that is absolutely terrific and light years ahead of the few Luddites that reside in Chandler AZ. And also demonstrates the elongated spectrum of how broad the polarization bandwidth really is amongst us.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I'd be more comfortable around the driverless cars.
    People driving(?) scare the hell outta me!
    And to think,China was the capitol of zenophobia not that long ago...and now farming the moon!! :)

3. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I like cars, and I like driving. But the idea that I might someday own a vehicle with autopilot functions, where I could reliably settle in for a multi-hour drive and read a book knowing I was going to arrive safely at the destination is quite appealing.

4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Yeah I read about this the other day.

Pretty screwed up.

A Co-Worker has a new S class MB with all the accident avoidance/stay in your lane/ tech. its kind of unnerving as I am way to much of a control freak. I dont even like being a passenger in a vehicle with a human driver.

Course with the amount of f***ing idiots glued to their cell phones now-a-days. The roads might just get safer.

xerts1191 and Kip like this.
  5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Passenger is the worst!!
    Y'know how much crap they almost hit with your side!!:eek::eek::eek:

xerts1191 and tarosean like this.
  6. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Just a quick question, what are the rocket scientists using for sunlight to grow cotton if they landed on the dark side of the moon?:o.o:

xerts1191 likes this.