Ted Yost Signature Grade Browning High Power

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by WVsig, Mar 22, 2019.

1. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    So my BHP has returned from Mr Yost's shop. The base gun that was used is forged framed MKIII. The gun was in very good condition when I sent it in but it was not new and had some minor finish issues. Mr. Yost did his magic on the gun. I went with is Signature Grade I package minus the beavertail. I prefer the BHP without a beavertail. I tried to swap the pistol out at one point with a T series but the grip strap on that gun was too thin to be checkered so I stuck with the MKIII base gun and I am glad I did. This will be a better more durable long term shooter.

This gun is shooting quarter sized groups with the factory barrel at 15 yards all day long if the shooter is up to the task. Mr. Yost and I talked about replacing the barrel and he recommended keeping the factory barrel and I am happy with the results.

I have several custom BHPs. I have ones from Don Williams, Novak, Garthwaite, West and Bob Cogan. Each one has their own flare to them. Each one is a functional piece of art to my eyes but this Yost pistol might be the best of the bunch. The custom thumb safety is a thing of beauty. The devil is in the details of this pistol. The nitre pins, screws and accents are striking. The machining work on the hammer really cleans up the factory part. The pistol is super smooth and the reset modification that Ted does really improves the pistol. I have only had a short range session with this one but I am liking it so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm normally not a fan of full size 9 mm service pistols but you'd have to be dumb & blind not to like that a lot. Congratulations, beautiful.

3. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Mouche said it better than I could! Very nice shooting iron you have there! Would even consider one like that for me and I am NOT a HP guy.

WVsig likes this.
  4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Very nicely done

WVsig likes this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I love that signature front sight! That is an awesome looking Hi Power, and apparently a fantastic shooter to boot. I know my knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to BHP's, but I just wanted to comment, and pay a compliment!

WVsig likes this.
  6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Very very nice BHP by the master Yost.
    May I inquire as to the turnaround time? Start to finish.

WVsig likes this.
  7. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I contacted Mr Yost in Aug of last year and sent him the base gun to hold my place in the queue shortly after that. He build BHPs once or twice a year depending on demand. He builds them in batches. The non-beavertail guns were the first of the 2019 runs. I received the gun from him yesterday.

Guy Montag and Colorado Sonny like this.
  8. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    It is Mr Yosts design. You can get them from John Harrison and any good smith can install them on BHPs or 1911s.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/yost-001

Bloodhound likes this.
  9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Congratulations on fine p35. Unlike others here, I am all in on the BH-P nd this yost is beautiful. I've got a toe in the water of 1911 9mm commander sized pistol and I like it. But to me the H-P is perfection. Height is shorter than full-size 1911 and capacity more. Anyhow, what great pistol, I'm drooling.

ronin11, WVsig and Scaramouche like this.
  10. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
  11. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Absolutely Fabulous..

WVsig likes this.
  12. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    Looks nice, she's ready for lot's of rounds.

Steve Owens likes this.
  13. Fogbank

Fogbank New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    A beautiful job. Big fan of BHP's, too bad FN stopped making them.

14. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Exceptional P-35.
    And you have one by all of the BHP heavy hitters.
    Well done.

15. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks I am working on procuring an Austin Behler from a fellow member and BHP fan. I just need to round up some funds.

16. Fogbank

Fogbank New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    WVsig,
    Is the thumb safety a Yost made piece or from another source?
    TY

17. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    He makes them. It is my understanding he only sells them with a complete build. The same is true for Mr. Garthwaite who makes a similar safety.

Garthwaite BHP

[​IMG]

18. Fogbank

Fogbank New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    First and foremost I am a huge fan of the BHP. If a pistol can be sexy it is the BHP. Did Yost do anything to improve the excessive take up on your trigger. The trigger's excessive take up is the only complaint I have on my BHP with adjustable sights. TY

19. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    He does a proprietary trigger travel modification on Signature Grades. It is very nice and also helps the reset. More time on the pistol will be needed before I can comment more.

20. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Beautiful piece. IMO Ted's BHP thumb safety is the absolute best for the Hi Power, and his stippling is so sweet it made me change my previously negative opinion about stippling.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted