1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,087 Posts
I'm not sure it's worth or not worth the extra time looking for them (this is more a pain in the ass vs the extra $6 per mag) unless you're doing a lot of mag changes for competition. The teflon does feel smoother going in but for me, not enough to go the extra effort.
When it comes to STI mags, the bigger increase for your money will be new springs, followers and basepads. Or just get a couple MBX Extremes and not have to worry about it because they run perfectly out of the box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure it's worth or not worth the extra time looking for them (this is more a pain in the ass vs the extra $6 per mag) unless you're doing a lot of mag changes for competition. The teflon does feel smoother going in but for me, not enough to go the extra effort.
When it comes to STI mags, the bigger increase for your money will be new springs, followers and basepads. Or just get a couple MBX Extremes and not have to worry about it because they run perfectly out of the box.
I was told the gen 2 STI was pretty good, are the MBX really worth the extra $

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,087 Posts
The Gen 2 STI mags are WAY better than the Gen 1s. I gave away probably 5 or 6 Gen 1s because I just got tired of screwing with them.
But the MBX's are WAY better than Gen 2 STIs. I am not as wild about their followers, but the tubes, baseplates and springs are tops. Expensive as hell, but considering what I was putting into STI mags to really get them to run- worth it.
I do have a couple Gen 2 mags that have 500+ through them with no problems, but had a couple more than just simply stopped working reliably. A lot of bullets slipping behind the follower stopping the whole mag. Then you have to **** around getting that baseplate off. When I've had that happen (non-lockback follower) on a MBX, took me about 4 seconds to pop off the baseblate, shake out the round, and put the plate back on. Plus, if you drop a STI mag on a rock or cement, it's a tossup on how it will survive.
For me, I think it's worth it. But I shoot a lot of doublestacks, so I justify it that way.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
One note about the Teflon ones- With some STIs, empty ones don’t drop out of the gun easily or at all.
Which models? All of my mags drop free and easily including the 6 Teflon ones I have which I also use in my SVI (9mm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Which models? All of my mags drop free and easily including the 6 Teflon ones I have which I also use in my SVI (9mm).

Not model specific, more the slight variances in the grips. For example I have a DVC grip that will not even fully drop a loaded 17rd mag. Friend of mine that has several STIs also cautioned me about this before I got my Teflon ones.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I’ve never had a problem with Teflon mags in any of my guns. Teflon is used for its lubrative properties so that causing the hang up is odd.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First there’s no chance the Teflon ones are any smoother than the polished ones; the coating is more for reducing reflection, extra corrosion resistance and Teflon would be more resistant to friction than other materials but it’s still not better than the uncoated stainless. The reality is that it’s added material on the magazine and if you have very tight tolerances it may bind some.

Guys I’m not making this **** up, it’s literally happening to one of my 17 round mags in an Extreme Shooters DVC grip (which is a grip from STI for those that aren’t aware).

That said, but whatever you want. If the coated ones work then go for it, they are great if you don’t want the high shine or are worried about corrosion.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
The Gen 2 STI mags are WAY better than the Gen 1s. I gave away probably 5 or 6 Gen 1s because I just got tired of screwing with them.
But the MBX's are WAY better than Gen 2 STIs. I am not as wild about their followers, but the tubes, baseplates and springs are tops. Expensive as hell, but considering what I was putting into STI mags to really get them to run- worth it.
I do have a couple Gen 2 mags that have 500+ through them with no problems, but had a couple more than just simply stopped working reliably. A lot of bullets slipping behind the follower stopping the whole mag. Then you have to **** around getting that baseplate off. When I've had that happen (non-lockback follower) on a MBX, took me about 4 seconds to pop off the baseblate, shake out the round, and put the plate back on. Plus, if you drop a STI mag on a rock or cement, it's a tossup on how it will survive.
For me, I think it's worth it. But I shoot a lot of doublestacks, so I justify it that way.
Does MBX make a 120mm/VIP length mag?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,087 Posts
Not that I’m aware of, but they make a 126 with that angled baseplate that puts it almost the same length as a 120z

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
They do not. They are a competition mag company and the 120mm mags are for concealed carry guns. I reached out to them a couple years ago about producing them and they weren’t interested. There’s not a big enough market.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
They do not. They are a competition mag company and the 120mm mags are for concealed carry guns. I reached out to them a couple years ago about producing them and they weren’t interested. There’s not a big enough market.
Maybe if I call them and tell them I want 5 or 6 they will change their mind? ;)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm not an MBX fan boy because the two I had both had problems and all MBX did was talk and no action. I've run 2011 pistols with STI and SV mags for 20 years, so comfortable that it wasn't user error. GAVE them to a fellow shooter and said if you like them pay what you think they're worth. HE gave them back to me after two week and several calls and emails to the maker.
Bitch session over.
Many find MBX mags GTG, Lots of people understand STI and SV mags so it's usually easy to find someone to help getting them to run IF you have problems

Reactions: rmw66

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,087 Posts
I'm not an MBX fan boy because the two I had both had problems and all MBX did was talk and no action. I've run 2011 pistols with STI and SV mags for 20 years, so comfortable that it wasn't user error. GAVE them to a fellow shooter and said if you like them pay what you think they're worth. HE gave them back to me after two week and several calls and emails to the maker.
Bitch session over.
Many find MBX mags GTG, Lots of people understand STI and SV mags so it's usually easy to find someone to help getting them to run IF you have problems
It’s usually the follower. I’ve given them a number of chances and that cheaper 3D printer follower, both hold open and competition, are just not that great. I think the material is just too soft

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I’d say the gap between MBX and the STI Gen2’s is not that big versus the Gen1’s.
I agree. I don’t have gen 1 mags from STI but I have both gen 2 STI and MBX mags and both work without any issues. However I don’t drop my mags on concrete so others mileage may vary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve never had a problem with Teflon mags in any of my guns. Teflon is used for its lubrative properties so that causing the hang up is odd.
I guess I assumed it was for reliability of the feeding rounds out of the mag . I remember when
we first went to the Middle East the beretta mags mags were having problems feeding from the
dust and sand and one of the fixes was to put some sort of lubricative coating on them . I don’t think I remember it being Teflon . Guess I’m assuming this because STI seems to be going more after the CC/LE market now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts