1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get off the computer and head to the range. The weather here is lousy and I will be going indoors today. I've been inspired by @Sterling Archer's ammo tests and will today be conducting my own, much less sophisticated, version.

Me and my DW will be shooting some Speer Gold Dot JHPs for the first time. We'll also be firing some Winchester Service Grade and S&B .45ACP FMJ to see how they run.

Everything will be hand-held, from a standing position - no real "controls" - and I will be trying some grip variations.

If there are any results worth showing I'll post pics when I return.

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Early returns. Film at 11.

Shot Blazer Brass last week. About 100 rds per gun, I think. Boy, were they nasty with black gunk. Today's ammo selections seemed much cleaner. At least judging by the muzzle tips.

Not impressed with DW mags. Had 2 FtFeed jams in first 25 rds, the second actually bent the mag. Switched ammo, had 2 more in next 25 rds, bent second mag. Switched to Wilson ETM. Problem went away. Something to investigate next time.

On the way out discovered LGS at the range sells Nighthawks. Had 5 or 6 there. Didnt have time to look.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....and you call yourself an addict, I'm disappointed in you :cool:
There's a straight-up legit reason. Honest. The hot chick who works there was on the range teaching some woman to shoot. The two dudes behind the counter, well... Figured those fine Nighthawks would be a great chance to see if Ms. Shootist knows her guns...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's the report, with pics. This is long. I know others don't do it like this, but it's how I do it for me so tonight it's what you get. There's a pic and explanation of the mag issue further down. There are several variables, so further investigation will take place.

Caveat: I'm no marksman and I'm not confused about that. I'm just trying to get better. I will repeat this with some changes and improvements in a week or so.

24Feb2018 Range Report

Setup
Firearms:
  • Benchmark Precision Government Target .45ACP
  • Dan Wesson A2 Commander .45ACP
Ammo:
  • Winchester Service Grade .45ACP 230gr FMJ
  • Sellier & Bellot .45ACP 230gr FMJ
  • Speer LE .45ACP 230gr GDHP
  • GA Arms .45ACP 185gr JHP (DW Commander only)

Target Distance: 7 yds

Objective:
  1. Try new target, stance and grip techniques, and focused sighting all as described in Albert League's "The Perfect Pistol Shot."
  2. Test short runs of new ammo for feed issues, general accuracy, basic cleanliness.
  3. Kill "the flinch," overgrip and pushing.

Tested Techniques:
League describes a two-handed grip with the support arm bent downward, the support palm slightly under the butt of the pistol to support its weight, and the dominant hand using a light to moderate grip with both thumbs pressed together and off the gun. All muscular tension is taken off the dominant arm and hand.

Course of fire:
Using the back of a full-size paper target, draw crosses with a sharpie. I drew 7. Fire three single shots at the center of each cross, for a total of 21 rds. Fire 4 more rounds and attempt to shoot into the center of the crosses with the tightest groups, for a total of 25 rds. No time limit, shoot from high-ready.

Results

User Errors: I forgot to take a picture of the first target before I taped it and shot over it.

Ammo Accuracy: In this very unscientific test the Speer GDHP seems most accurate, though all the rds were fine for 7yds and most of the variance is from the shooter. Testing at increasing distances will be done as time permits.

Observations:
  • All the ammo is cleaner than Blazer Brass. Haven't cleaned the guns yet, but judging by the muzzle tips none of this stuff is a dirty as the small-primer CCI loads.
  • League's techniques do work, if you perform them properly. The grip does not feel "natural" yet, but it may. Probably 80% of my shots were reasonable or better. 20% unreasonable. I put a fair number within 1/2" or less of the center, but I am not consistent.
  • My biggest error was rushing the shot. If I rushed for any reason or to any degree I was way off target. I did pretty well with the flinch, and did not have any trouble managing recoil even though my strong-hand grip was fairly light. Having thumbs off the grip eliminated any issue with grip safety activation, but it remains to be seen if I can use this when drawing from a holster.
Failures: 1 minor on BP Govt, 3 major on DW Commander.
  • BP Govt - On 2nd rd of Target2, S&B FMJ 230gr, the slide did not go fully into battery. No jam, just didn't go all the way in. Tap, rack, fire with no problem. Re-chambered round at end and fired, no problem.
  • DW A2
    • On Target4 round 8 (last rd in first mag), GA Arms JHP 185gr, the gun jammed with FtFeed. Couldn't rack the slide, couldn't yank the mag out. Had to grab slide with support hand and slapped the grip to get it loose. Took mag out, reinserted, fired last round and slide failed to lock back. Fired remaining rounds no problem.
  • Loading the mags for next target (Winchester ammo) I noticed one base plate was bent - the front tip was bent downward - while the other was straight. It seemed to load ok but then it had another FtFeed. Dropping the mag worked this time, but I took it out and used the other mag.
  • Attempted to complete 25 rds of Winchester. Had another FtFeed with a jam. This time I inspected the gun and mag before doing anything. The baseplate on the second mag was now bent. Switched to Wilson ETM mags and had no further issues. Needs further investigation.
  • If your DW magazines have this same bent tip, feel free to point out that I'm wrong. I need to know and have no comparison except non-DW magazines - all of which are perfectly straight.

Bent magazine baseplates

Target2-BPGovt-SandBFMJ-230gr.jpg
Design Paper Paint

Target3-BPGovt-SpeerGDGP-230gr.jpg
Yellow Text Paper Rectangle Graphic design

Target4-DWA2Comm-GAArmsJHP-185gr.jpg
Yellow Paint Visual arts Paper Painting

Target5-DWA2Comm-WinchSrvGrdFMJ-230gr.jpg
Text Paper Paper product Graphic design Book

Target6-DWA2Comm-SandBFMJ-230gr.jpg
Yellow White World Paper Paint

Target7-DWA2Comm-SpeerGDHP-230gr.jpg
Text Paper Paper product Book Drawing

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Odd about those DW mags. I have shoot hundreds of different types of rounds (only factory, no reloads) from different years of mags, and have not had a problem.
Yeah, I dunno. There were a lot of variables at play. And sometimes weird stuff just happens. But I did have the issue with two different factory loads. (Although the GA Arms might be factory reloads. But I shot a total of 99 other rounds of it without any issues.)

I've got two Metalform mags from Chambers Custom on the way, and will get a couple of Wilson 47s to test as well. I've got about a dozen Wilson ETMs because that's what Rob used with the BP target pistol (and that's what I used today), but I don't like the way they look in the A2.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah, I dunno. There were a lot of variables at play. And sometimes weird stuff just happens. But I did have the issue with two different factory loads. (Although the GA Arms might be factory reloads. But I shot a total of 99 other rounds of it without any issues.)

I've got two Metalform mags from Chambers Custom on the way, and will get a couple of Wilson 47s to test as well. I've got about a dozen Wilson ETMs because that's what Rob used with the BP target pistol (and that's what I used today), but I don't like the way they look in the A2.
I have heard other with the same experience you have had. As you stated they switched to a different make of the mags and the problems went away. Wilson, Tripp, and some other folks have had luck with.

·
VFW - Life Member
1,082 Posts
Excellent write-up. I need to try what you did on the thumbs. Old habits...... Gold Dot is hard to beat and if I remember right they were the standard issue for some LEO's.

The base plates on the my DW mags, are straight. Have a Valor (Checkmate) and P9 (don't know who make the 9mm mags for DW).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts