close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TGO-1 vs. Trophy Match vs. Loaded pics.

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Quack, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Disclaimer: I'm not a professional, just a guy with a camera and guns. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Well i had the day off today (actually worked all day yesterday until 4am today) and decided to finally take some pics of the 3 different level's of guns Springfield sells. i guess i could've borrowed knedrgr's mil-spec to add to this too, but i didn't, so :tongueout:

I used the TGO-1 form the Custom Shop, the Trophy Match and the Loaded for this comparison. They are visually similar guns (target & FO sights, magwells, and flat triggers) but are different levels of guns that Springfield produces. This thread is just to show the differences that one is getting for the money that they are paying. I frequently post the Springfield vs. Springfield article when someone wants to know the difference between the Trophy Match, Loaded and mil-spec. I'm a visual type of guy, which also shows that i grew up in Missouri (the "Show Me" state) and thought pictures can show the details better than words.

The TGO-1 is a Custom Shop gun which less than 200 have been produced. The last one i've seen for sale was made 6/25/2010 and was number 150. It's a really tight gun and is the tightest gun that i own.
    [​IMG]

The Trophy Match is "high-end" production gun. what's this mean? It receive's more attention to fitting, but not as much as a semi-custom.
    [​IMG]

The Loaded is a production gun. Most people buy guns in this category. The parts are mass produced and has less attention to fitting than the other 2 groups.
    [​IMG]

Sterling Archer likes this.
  2. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    The outward appearance of the guns is pretty much the same at first glance.
    The main difference is the TGO-1's finish and lack of FCS.

[​IMG]

from the shooter's perspective the look similar as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the TM's slide is serrated on top
    [​IMG]

Bro. Pappaw and Sterling Archer like this.

3. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    taking a closer look, you can see the difference in fit. you can see that the Loaded's extractor isn't flush with the back of the slide (and slightly clocked) and the slides to frame fit also vary. I should note that the Loaded was tighter when it was new, but after thousands of rounds it has loosened up a little. The Trophy Match was bought used (don't know the round count) and is slightly loose as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TGO-1
    [​IMG]

Trophy Match
    [​IMG]

Loaded
    [​IMG]

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    The beavertail fitting is nice, and they are similar, but you can see that a little more care was taken with the TGO-1 with the blending at the top. These photo's where taken with the GS depressed.

TGO-1
    [​IMG]

Trophy Match
    [​IMG]

Loaded
    [​IMG]

I added a magwell to the Loaded, but the TGO-1 and Trophy Match had them as standard parts. You can see the difference in the blending and what a drop-in magwell would look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Pulling the slides off, you can see the different detail's taken between each one.
    I have the most rounds through the Loaded, and the wear shows.

Loaded, Trophy Match, TGO-1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    An interesting note is that the Loaded didn't have the last 3 digits scribed into the barrel. I'm not sure if this is true on all the Loaded's or if it was because it was a ramped barrel.

[​IMG]

There are other little details that were on the TGO-1 such as the digits on the slide stop, bushing and even the barrel link pin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TGO-1 has a "hidden leaf cut" for the rear sight, while the other 2 didn't.
    This show's more work that is needed when they machine the slide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sterling Archer likes this.
  7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Lastly is barrel fit. It should be no surprise that the TGO-1 locks up tight, while the TM & Loaded both have slight side to side movement when locked up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take pics of the internals because the Loaded has been swapped and the Trophy Match has been worked on. I hope to make it to the range this weekend, but since the TM and Loaded aren't stock guns anymore it won't be a good indication of how they came from the factory.

Hi-Res photo's can be found HERE

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Side by Side pics.

Trophy Match
    Loaded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trophy Match
    TGO-1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loaded
    TGO-1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    :whistle:

I've seen you do these "detailed" comparison threads before and well............

I HATE YOU FOR IT ! ! !

Now I want a new gun.

CURSE YOU SIGNOR QUACK ! ! !

:65:

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    LOL. I just haven't gotten around to detailed pics of everything that i have yet.

aldodds3 likes this.
  11. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Well THANK GOD you're not doing detailed comparison threads on new cars, lol

:41_002:

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice pics.. pistols as well.. ;) Ron

13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've seen this comparison before, but it's worth commenting on properly.

Great photos and writeup, Don. So many of the comparisons we read are somewhat "apples to oranges," if only because of realistic collections of most folks. Not many shooters have very similar builds from the same manufacturer, set up the same and meant for the same type of shooting.

It really shows a lot of attention to detail that separates the Custom Shop gun from the production versions. Some guns are more than the sum of their parts, and I think this is conveyed and exemplified even in just photos like this.

Thanks for sharing. :smilie:

Andy

14. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Don thanks for doing that. That TGO has really grown on me. I am pretty sure I have a Pro coming in sometime this year/early next year. Maybe we can get our Ohio shoot together and do a compare?

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    No problem, it's was just something to do since i had the 3 different levels of Springfield's.

I already have a Pro, so already did my comparison. They are both the same, just different finish, sight's and the TGO-1 has a FLGR :lol:

16. mike.h

mike.h New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the comparison, I'm thinking TM or TRP for the next one, or at least something with a dovetail front sight. I'm sure the front fiber optic is a little nicer on old eyes then the mil-spec 3 dot.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Old eyes can definitely benefit the FO or gold/brass bead.. Ron

18. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Always great pics, Don.

19. Arr6

Arr6 Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Great pictures and comparison of the different models

20. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    With SA even their Range Officers are sort of impresssive esp. for the price. I have the 5 inch models in 45 and 9mm.

[​IMG]

I always looked at these as sort of "loss leaders" for SA. They probably don't make a lot of money on them but suck you into the brand. They don't pin the ejector but do pin the front sight which is maybe more important in the big picture. Then on the bottom of the slide are scratched the last three digits of the serial number. Sort of impressive for pistol in this price category. There is also another number on bottom of the slide which I assume is for internal control of parts.

[​IMG]

And under the left grip is another number which I assume is again for internal control of parts. And then I look at the end result which is a very good fit of all the parts. Very good values for the cost.

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted