thanksgiving story--mine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boatdoc, Nov 20, 2018.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    My wife forgot this so I had to remind her and thought I would share our Thanksgiving tradition with my fellow addicts.

for YEARS now, we have always prepared a thanksgiving dinner and ate it on Wednesday. I would put the turkey in the oven and go to do housecalls for 4 hours or so..come home and help prepare and eat that great meal. My MRS wanted to be reminded--WHY?

it is simple. As a family, we use d to either go out to eat or go to my parents or (heaven forbid) my drugged out sisters home for dinner on Thursday(lots of disgusting stories come from having a druggie/alcoholic sister incharge of the dinner) . anyway, we would come home empty handed and hunger sets in around 5 pm...SO we started making our own meal on Wednesday with all the fixings and could enjoy our leftovers for a couple of days

happy thanksgiving to all

gaijin, Kip, xerts1191 and 14 others like this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Happy Thanksgiving to you Doc.

boatdoc likes this.

3. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    same to you and yours SparkyAZ

4. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Happy Thanksgiving Doc,,, nothing better then picking at a turkey!
    My mother use to make the best turkey salad :(

5. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    everything tastes better day 2 and 3 then it gets OLD fast

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too Duke. I see your holidays are off to a good start

enjoy

DukeSoprano likes this.
  6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Nothing better than leftover turkey and cranberry sammiches.

BigJimP, 1911 dawg and boatdoc like this.
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I love stories of people working around the fubar that is often real-life family Holidays. Most people think National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation was just a comedy movie. I think it was a documentary.

You just gotta work through it because in the end it’s still family. Way to go, Doc. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    Like the sandwich that Ross was going to eat on Friend--with the moist maker :)

9. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    glad you liked it TWF happy holiday

10. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my addict friends.

boatdoc likes this.
  11. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Sad story, hope your sister got help. Happy Thanksgiving to all. My favorite holiday , due to Christmas losing its true meaning for so many.

boatdoc likes this.
  12. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    william adams likes this.
  13. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I normally have 3 different dinners to attend. My Dad’s place, then Mom’s then mine. I have a small group with no family left come over for an evening of good food and mediocre wine. Have a great time and good luck to you and your sister.

william adams, Kip, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  14. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    you are the best @ER. save room for all that food. (I suggest SWEAT pants :) )

so kind of you to think of others without family on such a special day. . Thanks for the well wishes --enjoy the holiday--remember the cats LOVE fresh turkey

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Kip and Mike Meints like this.
  15. Jim PHL

Jim PHL Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Our family’s version: I’m the number 2 and only boy of four kids. When my oldest sister was married a couple years and I had become engaged Mom started having her own Thanksgiving so there would never be any fighting about what house my sisters and our families would go to on Thanksgiving. Basically me and my sisters have always had Thursday dinner with our in-laws and Mom’s Thanksgiving has become everyone’s favorite day of the year. When she started it it was always the Saturday after thanksgiving but has become an annual challenge to get a date making sure everyone can make it. (Everyone’s work schedule coming into play!). Many years it’s the only time everyone is together.
    This year, (Sunday, 11/18) “everyone” = :
    Mom and Dad = 2 (most thankful that they’re still alive and together at 81 and 78 years old and celebrated 59th anniversary in October.)
    Me and my sisters and spouses =10
    10 grandkids (all but 1 is married, living together or “coupled-up”) = 29
    6 great-grandkids (#7 was announced as on its way Sunday!) = 35
    A couple additional cousins, nieces/nephews and longtime family friends added 9 more for 44 this year!

Mom and Dad live in a 55 and over community with a community center we rent cheap for the day. Mom makes turkey, stuffing and her special cole slaw and everybody else brings a side or dessert.

We’re blessed with an awesome - and BIG - family. That everyone makes the effort to get there and honestly calls it their favorite day is a real blessing to all of us. Every family has their rough times and black sheep but being all together, at least one day out of the year is special beyond
    words. We’re always there FOR each other every day of the year if needed. It’s great to be there WITH each other.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Kip, FWoo45, Ethanol Red and 2 others like this.
  16. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    sounds like you need a turkey on STEROIDS @Jim. wow what a cool event. the cooking and cleaning must be a bear though

enjoy

17. Jim PHL

Jim PHL Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    It’s awesome doc. And Mom does TWO birds...we’d need an ostrich to feed 44 with one!
    Not too bad on the cleanup. We use paper plates and plastic ware. (Right down to the “dollar store” tables cloths.) Everybody brings their dishes in aluminum “half-pans” that we keep hot with sterno candles. Even the larger plastic serving spoons are disposable and everybody helps. The toughest part is the hall doesn’t have a dumpster so we have to haul out our own trash (and there’s a lot of it!).

It’s cool the way it has carried down a generation. My and my sisters’ kids go to THEIR in laws Thursday too so everything stays good on down the line. My Thursday dinner will be at my house and will be me and my wife, her parents and my son who is unattached. Its great for him that we had his son with us on Sunday so his ex can have my grandson with her family Thursday with no arguments.

18. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Hope you have a good thanksgiving doc. You deserve it. I’m in much the same shape with my oldest son. It breaks my heart to see him sometimes. He has a good heart but sadly it’s always about him. You can’t help people who won’t accept that they need it. But I’ll never stop trying. He’s part of me and if I give up on my own family, what does that say about me. But on the bright side, he’s alive and I’m thankful for that and all gods blessed me with. Happy holiday and many happy returns of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william adams, boatdoc and Kip like this.
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Holy crap Doc , you made housecalls ? You old fart .
    Oh ,happy Thanksgiving

boatdoc and Kip like this.
  20. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    That's a cool thing Red. It's a great when you can fill a holiday with both friends and family. Nice way to spread the love.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted