close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The 1911 in competition

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by 50GI-Jess, Aug 28, 2011.

1. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I remember the harsh gun regulations back in Denmark all too well, just if like it was yesterday. Sometimes it would take years to get a handgun permit. Back then the 45 ACP ruled, but living in DK only 9mm was allowed. IPSC was illegal too, so I travelled to other countries to shoot both steel challenge and IPSC.

It took forever to get the propper paperwork to import custom 1911's from other countries. Kind of had to, since no one in DK was offering them. So I know first hand how disappointing it can be, to recieve a piece of junk without any coverage by warrenty etc. and after paying $2000.

I realized, that it would be completely stupid to spend $5000 on entry fee's, travel, hotels, rental car, ammo etc. Just to have 15 malfunctions in the US IPSC nationals, with a unreliable gun.

Fortunately back in 89, I ran into a used Poul Liebenberg when visiting Norway. The offer was made over the phone, not even being able to see the gun, I payed $ 3.500 for it without blinking. The 1911 was a 9mm Springfield Armory completely tricked out by PL. It was hard chrome with an extra upper unit in 38 Super. Always admired PL signature models with his own designed compensator, beavertail and magwell.

I ran over 250.000 rounds through this gun over the next 4 years without any malfunctions. Using this custom gun, was flat out the best feeling back then, when going to high profile shooting tournements.

Even though I'm a pistolsmith today and can build my own gear, I just can't forget what that pistol did for me back in the day.

Another point I wan't to make, is how much I treassure living in this nice and beautiful country. Where else can you make a living as a pistolsmith, shoot in your own yard, buy 22's at the supermarket, and enjoy the love and ownership of 1911 together with your fellow friends and shooters .

ek42 and AJM1231 like this.
  2. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Hell yeah!!!!!! Great story, Jess. You couldn't have picked a better part of the country to live in. I absolutely love it up in your neck of the woods!! I can't imagine you miss the winters a whole lot, either!

3. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for that perspective.

Having spent my first career in the USAF, and afforded the opportunity to live outside the US, I can easily understand where you're coming from, and whole-heartedly agree with your feelings about the US.

Now, how about you guys build some nice 5" 9mm guns (stainless preferred) to pay homage to the Liebenberg you enjoyed so much?! :biggrin1:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Do I hear 9mm echoes or is it just the redwine kicking in ha ha....
    Well, never outrule anything. As of now, we're very busy keeping up with existing orders. Also we are working on new concepts and idea's all the time. But by the end of the day, customers rule.

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    yep, 9's are fine.

6. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    In that case, I would like to put in a pre-order for a No Name CCO in .38 Super...:laugh:

7. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I love shooting my 9mm. I'm really jealous that you had 250k rounds through a 1911!!!!! I would LOVE to be able to shoot/compete that much.

I shoot SSD because I love it, even if I suck terribly. :laugh:

8. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Poacher! :biggrin1:

Don't distract the man! :lol:

9. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

:animlol:

10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Well, 1911s have been in competition since before I did it.

[​IMG]

11. AJM1231

AJM1231 NRA Life Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Hey Jess....great post. Really reminds me to count my blessings here in Pa. where I can own and shoot just about anything!!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted