1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a message from JEM that my frame shipped. I’m still gathering some other small parts and deciding what to do with a couple other projects so this one might take awhile as it’s the beginning of summer and my day job is going crazy for the next 4 months.

I tried shooting a slide mounted red dot a couple years ago and instantly fell in love. At that time there were not any good mounting options for 1911 slides that got the optic low enough and did not have a gigantic set of back up sights. So I tracked down a BEC built G19 and went to town learning the dot. I’ve loved it since day one. But my true love is the 1911 platform so I’ve wanted to get back to that manual of arms and trigger. I do some volunteer work that requires me to shoot qualifications and those are based around a 12 round shot sequence. So I wanted to stick with 15 round magazines. I also loved the weight of the G19 compared to an all steel 5” 1911. That got me thinking about an LW Commander and I just could not find anything I liked.

Fast forward a couple years. @Joe C introduced the RDSM and JEM is offering Alum. 2011 frames and a dream started to come to reality.
Wood Product Floor Flooring Wall
Metal Rectangle Silver
Caspian 9mm Commander slide with RDSM from Chambers Custom
Electronic device Technology Cable Electronics Wire
JEM Alum. Commander Frame weighing in at 2.8 ounces. Wilson/Nowlin ramp cut.
Metal Grey Composite material Iron Silver
STI grip stippled and cut to VIP length to take 120mm mags.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No that's a cool idea! You get a 1911 trigger, high capacity, and lightweight all in the same package. The only "downside" is dealing with 2011-style magazines. And they say that 1911 magazines can be finicky!
Another concern of why I waited to go double stack. I had heard rumors starting a few years ago of the Gen2 STI mags in the works that seam to have help with a lot of the double stack issues and now MBX is working on 120mm magazines. So that should eliminate the magazine issues.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts