The Addicts "No Budget Smiffin" thread . . . . . post yours up . . . . .

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ZoidMeister, Apr 4, 2019.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Gents,

I have been wanting to start this thread for quite a while. The concept is as follows:

Post up photos of your less than $100 ea. (+/-) upgrades to your 1911's. This does NOT include grips. Upgrades can be aesthetic, functional, or BOTH . . . . .

This thread is for all "home smiffs" to share their tricks and tips for adding form and/or function to your favorite 1911's. Work can be performed by yourself, or if you have a good source for outside improvements, share them here. I'm looking for things the average guy can accomplish without access to monster mills or lathes.

I set the bar for the upgrades at $100 ea. (+/-) as most would be able to afford that budget. I am soft on the Stan Chen SI magwells, so those qualify on the "plus" side.

I'll start off:

My stock Ruger SR1911-10mm as pulled out of the box:

SR1911-10mm-001.jpg
    Improvements:
    • S&A Arched Mainspring / Magwell
    • Fusion K-hole Flat Trigger
    • Cylinder & Slide Light-pull Sear Spring (took the rattle out of the grip safety, lightened trigger pull)
    • Ambi-safety (a Springfield EMP-40 take off - got in a trade for some Wilson grips)

SR1911-10mm-03.jpg

SR1911-10mm-04.jpg

SR1911-10mm-05.jpg

Now it's your turn. Post yours up . . . . . .

july19, Dub, simonp and 18 others like this.
  2. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Great upgrades and beautiful work. I love the trigger. I would be afraid to do that work myself. Good job buddy. BTW, have you released the ZoidMeister PINK supports yet?

JD

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    simonp and ZoidMeister like this.

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Guardian .38 sup.
    Ed Brown 3 hole trigger..... buffed bright!
    IMG_2390 (2).jpg

Rugger SR1911
    EGW SS Grip Safety **Anti-Rattle**
    EGW SS MsH

IMG_2391 (2).jpg

Guardian 9mm
    Ed Brown SS Snake skin MsH

IMG_2392 (2).jpg

july19, Dub, ZoidMeister and 15 others like this.
  4. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Dissin another man's likes is what sucks...... just sayin

Dub, ZoidMeister, Boatbum101 and 7 others like this.
  5. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    :thumbs:Great ideal for a new thread!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Sorry, very sorry, you are correct. I erased that from my post. My apology.

Scaramouche, I've just had really bad luck with that brand and customer service did not help me at all. It was a CF rifle that the chamber was reamed incorrectly and needed a new barrel. No way to repair it without replacing it but they attempted to do just that over a 6 month period, TWICE. Just left a really bad taste in me for the company itself.

Jim D

7. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    This is the $275 OC Arms/DGC Custom 1911 I got from Tyler at Cajun Concealed a few months ago. It was semi functional when I got it, it took a used sear and disconnector and some extractor tweaking to get it running right. Swapped out the arched MSH for a flat checkered one, put new recoil and hammer springs in it, a FLGR, and some grip tape on the front strap. Didn't even bother to change the grips. Now it runs like it should and is a decent shooter. All the parts were leftovers from other guns, except for the springs and the grip tape, so my total investment on top of the $275 buy in (shipping was included in the purchase price and my FFL doesn't charge me transfer fees) was less than $20.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    My only “home” smithing job, started with a cheap GI ATI from rural king that I picked up new for $400 then I did modt of the machining, ball cuts, top of slide ball cuts, heavy bevel, carry cuts, CS slide stop, flush cut and crown barrel, thumb safety then fit beaver tail gs (Steve changed it, the used one I had was bad) etc!

All parts were found on this forum as used parts except the GS Steve had to replace with one he had.

Steve O helped me with site cuts and front strap, magwell plus finishing.
    In actual cost I’ve got maybe $650 in it total including the new gun and transfer fees, if that!!

6C05FFA3-D8A4-4EAB-BE48-77B28987E7CC.jpeg AEAAB555-E6A4-464F-AB6D-8BF4E36FE935.jpeg 1DF400D3-1FB8-4FE5-BC52-ED30531E0BEA.jpeg 052CB5EC-91CE-4366-91F2-5A8D6C2935A2.jpeg B092867D-9239-4B01-B876-C6EB9A83A8C8.jpeg CDF4ABDC-6AE5-45AB-B7C8-61599D03D20F.jpeg 4E6EF62D-9E24-4E89-9AED-87D6B7BFD02F.jpeg 08591D7A-DFD8-4197-ACF6-31972518B260.jpeg

9. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Ed Brown large button mag release and reduced power spring for same. This has worked out so damn good for USPSA meets! Fast and easy mag dumps. I also took a Dremel and added the thumb relief to the grip as well. 20190404_163312.jpg

10. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm no gunsmith but I can take things apart and put them back together and handle simple part swaps. My Colt Competition was great out of the box but it needed the mag release button pushed all the way in to drop a mag so I replaced it with an Ed Brown oversize release, swapped out the polymer MSH for a Chen SI magwell, stuck some grip tape to the front strap, and added a set of pinstriped Raasco magwell cut grips. Going to run it in the first match of the season this coming weekend.

[​IMG]

11. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Mouche....I concur w/you. Though I do not own a Ruger handgun of any caliber. From every report/review/owner forum they are very decent 1911's especially for the price.

Dub, boatdoc, Babboonbobo and 3 others like this.
  12. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Awesome posts guys . . . . this is EXACTLY what I was hoping to see. I have some "uncompleted" upgrades I plan on adding in the near future, and a few that I have already gotten done, but haven't taken photos of.

Keep them coming . . . . . !

KS95B40, Dub, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Here are some photos of my Ruger SR1911 Gov't. in 45.

The slide was Cerakoted by a local guy. The checkered "front strap" is an add on piece from Wilson Combat ($13 shipped I think) I recently added a 2-tone MSH/Magwell from Klonimus. First tried a solid blued model but decided the 2-tone would look better. Klonimus unit was $45 shipped. Ruger SR1911 Gov't with Klonimus 2 tone magwell and Cerakoted slide photo 2.jpg Ruger SR1911 Gov't with Klonimus 2 tone magwell.jpg Ruger SR1911 Gov't with Klonimus 2 tone magwell and Cerakoted slide.jpg

Dub, KS95B40, Acroyer and 7 others like this.
  14. Renegade4006

Feb 18, 2018
    Remington R1 Enhanced (Iliion, NY production) with Klonimus MSH/Magwell. Unit is also $45 shipped.

I debated on installing this on this pistol. I have been wanting to sell it to help finance a GI No Name but with the current market I'd be lucky to get $525 for it. So it looks like I'll hang on to it.

Remington R1 Enhanced with Klonimus magwell photo 1.jpg Remington R1 Enhanced with Klonimus magwell photo 2.jpg Remington R1 Enhanced with Klonimus magwell.jpg

Dub, KS95B40, A45GUNNER and 7 others like this.
  15. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I traded labor for every aftermarket part on this gun. Well the cerakote I had. I butcher my own junk. Anyways EGW ignition kit, gatorbacks, mag release and button, magwell, Dawson front sight

16. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    I LIKE it a lot.... It really makes a looker out of it....

I'm not being condescending at all.. I own both Gov't. & Commander SRs
    Did you send the small parts to be done with the slide so they matched?

StrangerDanger likes this.
  17. Renegade4006

Feb 18, 2018
    My Dan Wesson Valor Gov't with Klonimus grips and a Smith & Alexander mag guide:

Dan Wesson Valor Gov't with S&A Mag Guide and Klonimus grips photo 2.jpg Dan Wesson Valor Gov't with S&A Mag Guide and Klonimus grips.jpg Dan Wesson Valor Gov't with S&A Mag Guide.jpg

Dub, ZoidMeister, KS95B40 and 5 others like this.
  18. Renegade4006

Feb 18, 2018
    Any good match in color can be attributed to the guy who did the cerakote work. If I remember correctly I just gave him the slide and showed him some photos of what I wanted. The small parts were already blued/black from the factory.

There was a Lipsey model of the SR1911 (model #6700C) that I was wanting to copy. As far as I could tell it was just a cosmetic package of a factory SR1911 with a coated slide (versus stainless steel finish) and a set of Hogue/Ruger rubber grip panels. I had the Hogue/Ruger grips on it until just recently but changed them to a set from VZ.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    On both the Commander length and 5" "Vigil" (alloy frame guns):

Installed Hogue, alumin./arched MSH's
    Short triggers (Wilson)
    VZ Gatorbacks
    Because- that's what I run on my 1911's.

[​IMG]

july19, Dub, KS95B40 and 9 others like this.
  20. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    One of my early efforts was to flush cut and recess a slide stop. I used a belt sander and a sharpie to get it close, then finished the edge by hand with sand paper. I beveled the frame with a cheap drill press and a steel 31° countersink bit I had laying around. Stainless is more difficult to work with, so I used lots of oil on the frame to try to reduce the "chatter". Of course I have cutting oil now.

Champion-stop-02.JPG

My drill press doesn't run nearly slow enough. I think the press I had back then was 350 RPM minimum speed. The one I have now will get down to 120 RPM but I think a motor control that can reduce the speed to under 100 RPM would be ideal.

Then I had Dustin checker the end of the pin just to give it an artistic touch.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Grumpyone40, gaijin, Dub and 9 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted