close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Apache Kid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Almost nothing is known about the early life of the Apache Kid. Born on the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona Territory in the 1860s, he picked up the name Apache Kid when white folks had trouble pronouncing his Apache name; Haskay-bay-nay-natyl, meaning "brave and tall will come to a mysterious end."

835afa2629439173118a7b44e94c950d.jpg

His early years were spent around the mining town of what is now Globe, Arizona, where he befriended the noted army chief scout Al Sieber who inspired him to enlist in the Army scouts in the 1880s. The Apache Kid made sergeant and accompanied General George Crook on his expedition into the Sierra Madre, including the Geronimo campaigns of 1885-86. His only transgression an alcohol fueled riot in Mexico, (a common pass time if your young and spend any amount of time scraping the Mexican outback), the Kid's clean record led to promotion to first sergeant in 1887.

apache_kid.jpg
    Apache Kid center

Later that year, however, he killed the man responsible for the death of his father. When the Apache Kid and some friends were ordered to turn over their weapons, a scuffle turned into gunplay, and Al Sieber was shot in the ankle with a .45-70 slug, leaving him with a permanent limp, Sieber claimed the Kid shot him and never forgot it. The Apache Kid fled (stealing Tom Horn's favorite horse) and was branded an outlaw.

Horn had arrived in camp around 2 a.m. Sieber told Horn what had happened between grimaces as the doctor worked on his leg. The leg was, as Tom Horn delicately put it, was "shattered all to pieces". The doc, a Dr. Davis, wanted to amputate, but Sieber refused to consider it. He had kept his right leg after a horrible wound at Gettysburg, and he was not about to give up the left one now.

Al-Sieber.jpg
    A ticked off and hurting Al Sieber sporting real Levis, the kind you can't buy no more

About a month later the Kid returned and surrendered, he was court martialed, and found guilty of mutiny and desertion. His death sentence was reduced to a ten year prison term at Alcatraz. After about six months the conviction was overturned and he was freed.

In 1888 ex-First Sgt Apache Kid was retried and sentenced to a seven year stay at the territorial prison in Yuma. Enroute, the Kid and others overpowered the guards and escaped.

For years to come, stories about the crimes of the Apache Kid were widely known in the Southwest. Ron Paul, our favorite Tucson sheriff, was called in to look for the elusive Apache and came up short, and that's saying something given Ron Paul's tracking ability. The Kid was said to move like a desert ghost, preying on ranchers and prospectors. A huge bounty was put on his head, but it was never collected. Several people swore they killed him, but his death was never confirmed.

To this day the fate of the Apache Kid remains a mystery. Many, including his old friend Mickey Free, said he was dead. Tom Horn and Jimmy Stevens both claimed that Kid had died in the mountains from consumption, a story that had been brought to San Carlos by an Indian woman. Sieber continued to search repeatedly for Kid, but without success. He remained convinced that he was still alive.

In 1899, Major Emilio Kosterlitzky reported that the Kid and his woman were high in the Sierra Madre, living among the Tarahumara Indians. Popping peyote, changing into trickster coyotes and raising hell out on the mesas. They had found peace at last. The Apache Kid, the last free Apache, had simply vanished into those fog shrouded mountains - into the mists of legend.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Rpowell911, TexasBB, Weiker and 22 others like this.
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Always entertaining Mouche.

Scaramouche likes this.

3. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
  4. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    It's me. I'm known as "the man too tall for his britches". Today I roam among society with a cool demeanor and a warm charm. No unsuspecting citizen is in danger...anymore. I no longer steal horses. Now I steal hearts from spinsters in need of companionship.

...or do I? The mystery continues.

Kip, Raylan Givens, Jimhoag and 2 others like this.
  5. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Excellent report 'Mouche. Don't let me discourage you. I'm just a never ending goofball. Or am I?

Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  6. shortround

shortround Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Wonderful story thank you.
    If you would have been my history teacher I would have stayed awake. Lol

Kip and Ethanol Red like this.
  7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Great story, one I've never heard! Much thanks!!

8. Kmoyer

Kmoyer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 9, 2012
    I once read a story that he would steal horses and cut out the back loin's and eat them, as this was one of his favorite meals!

9. ronin11

ronin11 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 17, 2017
    One of your best, thank you for your efforts & keep 'em coming.

Kip, limbkiller and Scaramouche like this.
  10. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Active Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Love history and really love these stories. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Just keeps getting better and better, thanks Mouche!

12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    6517F3D4-E5D1-47BD-9777-53A09F03A6B9.jpeg

Sorry Mouche,couldn’t help myself

13. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks for more great history.

14. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2015
    These stories make me want to buy a horse and turn into the high plains drifter.

15. Weiker

Weiker Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Makes me miss that globe area. The salt river gorge and all that country east into nm . Flat azz wilderness. Thank you Sir

Scaramouche likes this.
  16. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    I wanna be a cowboy.

Bro. Pappaw and Scaramouche like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted