Dan Wesson "The Ballad of the Valor" Next Build

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Integrity Arms, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I had many ask me if I did a build thread on the Emp4 and they just missed it, but as I told them I was too busy working on it to keep up with pics and details lol. Anyway I decided the next one I will post progress and build reports, but I also want to take the time and ask for advice on a couple of the details.

2016 DAN WESSON FULL SIZE VALOR IN SS FINISH:

1.) Slightly rounded MS housing or one piece MS housing? "good one piece like NHC, or EB"

2.) Flat 10-8 trigger, okay with solid existing trigger, short solid, long, med etc.. or a 3 hole speed or
    lightweight trigger?

3.) Mongrammed fixed DW logo bushing and recoil cap?

4.) Bevel bottom rails of slide yes or no? And why or why not?

5.) What angle on the crowned barrel? And why?

Okay I thought it would be fun to get some input and ideas, and feel free to suggest anything else you would like, I won't promise I will or won't follow suggestions based on numbers, but will strongly consider it. As these are some of the details that I haven't set in stone in my thinking yet lol...Thanks for participating..

Here are several pics to show the pistol in it's original factory condition: So there will be something to go back and reference to for before and after photos.. I won't be able to start this for a few weeks as I just did two pistols back to back and I am an absolute slob, I wouldn't be able to find 1/2 of my stuff at them moment no matter how hard I tried. I've got to get my mower serviced, " by urs truly" Bearings, belts, tires, oil change, flush hydraulics and re-fill and sharpen 3 sets of blades. Clean up this horrible mess in my garage/office/workshop/bedroom lmbo.. And I have a couple buddies who need a hand this coming week. Anyhow, pics below: This pistol has seen just under `100 rounds so virtually brand new. This is the same gun that was bead blasted back several months ago, there is a thread on that ordeal, I am the second owner, first owner fired about 75 rounds, count looked very legit when I took possession of the pistol, and I have shot a total of two mags through it. 01.jpg 02.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

cookie, Whiten, john_anch_ak and 5 others like this.
  2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    1 piece EB magwell, heavy bevel bottom of slide, 35 degree reverse crown and medium flat trigger.

3. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I would go with the following

1. One piece Wilson BP or Ed Brown two piece. I love options.

2. I love the DW long trigger I wouldn't change it , and I Hate the flat trigger.

3. Get the Monogramed fixed DW logo bushing and recoil cap.

4. Beveled slide rails aren't worth the money. However if your

dong the work yourself, then by all means, have a ball.
    But if your doing slide work serrate the top of the slide and give it some
    Ball end cuts, carry cuts and a French border.
    Sorry... I’m kinda building my dream Dan Wesson.:cool:

5. 45 degrees.

6. Checkering on the back of the slide, underneath and in front of the trigger
    Guard.

monogramed bushing set and 11 degree muzzle

yFc3xVT.png 45 degrees
    8CA4CF50-497A-4D6A-819A-7366C46C052B_zpslp7sjvdg.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Nighthawk one piece magwell
    Solid medium trigger
    Monogrammed bushing
    Heavy bevel on slide (becaue i don’t have any like that and like the look, but might get in to the “valor” on slide)
    45 degree crown
    Carry cuts

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    boatdoc, Mr. B, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  5. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    My suggestion would be the trigger off the discretion.
    Screenshot_20180402-224031~2.png why because LOOK AT IT, it just looks so dang cool.

6. Pennywise827

Pennywise827 I keeed I keeed.....

Jan 23, 2017
    This. The man knows me better than my wife...LOL

cghelton, boatdoc, Mr. B and 2 others like this.
  7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    One piece NHC Magwell

2nd vote for discretion trigger

dW Monogrammed plug, DW Thick bushing

11 degree reverse crown. I just like the look of a shallower bevel than a deep cut.

Definitely add ball cuts.

And challenge match , just for you.. serrated rear of slide

Beveled bottom rails ? I think not . I never even notice them for the most part and don't really think they make any difference in visual appeal.

8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I'll need to find out what angle is used on the heavy chamfer bottom of slide rails. I am assuming it's 60 degrees instead of the normal 45 degree setting. Don't have a jig for that, so better get to work lol...

9. Mr. B

Mr. B VFW - Life Member

May 10, 2016
    Don't know enough to make any intelligent suggestions, so in for the ride. Following for a friend......

Steve Owens and WHEELS like this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Where's all theses different degree crowns coming from lol, I have 45 degree and 11 degree, can't even find a 35 degree cutter. Lol send link for cutter.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and WWB like this.
  11. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    Yeah I'm in it just for the visual splendor myself cause it's a beautiful piece already! But I'm really diggin' that monogrammed plug and the trigger from the discretion!

cgff, Steve Owens and WHEELS like this.
  12. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Meant 45 was typo sorry about that lol

Pennywise827 and Steve Owens like this.
  13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  14. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Ok Im In
    Magwell, Wilson 1pc SS BP round butt mag-well. (I’m Thinking of this on a commander RG Build)
    Trigger Flat 10-8 or medium solid EGW Black
    Crown. 30 deg. Not as dramatic as 45, and more so then 11.
    No monogram bushing or cap. (Clean look)
    Not sure on beveled slide, leaning no

This: Add ball cuts.

boatdoc, Mike Meints and Steve Owens like this.
  15. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I’m in for the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Owens likes this.
  16. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum

Nov 6, 2017
    NHC one piece magwell, checker memory bump on grip safety to match MSH (my Remington has this and I really like it), 45 degree reverse crown, Chambers medium flat trigger, subtle bevel on bottom slide, ball cuts.

17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I do my reverse crowns by hand and only have a 45 degree and 11 degree cutter, I actually have not been able to find one anywhere that will fit my tool, and I only have a mill, but I do have a rotary table so essentially I could use it like a lathe, only other problem is I have no reverse gear either, so there are some things I am limited to... Crowns of 45 or 11 is one of those things lol. I do sometimes feel the way you do thought that 45 is too much and 11 not enough, however most times that I get this feeling is most generally on a bull barrel. Thanks for your input.

Pennywise827 likes this.
  18. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Speck-tater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Meints, cghelton and Steve Owens like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I do kind of like this trigger but I think it would look really badd ass if it was solid.. Or maybe just a two slot or even a single arched slot matching the profile of the trigger.

WHEELS likes this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    This will have all the same cuts that the EMP had, Flat top and slide serrations, French border, ball cuts, bhp cut and slight carry bevel front and rear of slide. These are a given in the posting... But, looking at magwell or just a rounded ms housing, and the trigger, what crown, then monogram bushing and cap, however I will probably still buy another bushing as to custom fit it. as opposed to drop in.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted