The Barrel Fit Challenge

Discussion in 'Chambers Custom Pistols - Obsessibly™ Accurate, Re' started by Joe C, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Another question for @Joe C.

In reading the original post, you indicate the fit of the lower legs/lugs is probably the most important part of barrel fit. In your opinion, how much accuracy is derived from this part of the barrel fit? Also taking into account slide locking lug and muzzle fit.

If the lower lug fit is done properly, can a bull barrel gun achieve the same level of accuracy as a bushing barrel, or will a bushing barrel gun generally be a bit better, assuming that all other barrel fit points are equal?

2. BMP98

BMP98 Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Staccato P

IMG_1784.JPG Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zChambers, Jimhoag, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.

3. ripdog28

ripdog28 Fondle his Baer

Nov 8, 2012
  4. BMP98

BMP98 Member

Mar 29, 2018
    @Joe C. What are your thoughts?

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    It is my opinion that at least 50-60% of the barrel fit accuracy equation is derived from proper barrel leg to slide stop engagement. Due to the nature of their fitment, bull barrels are generally not as accurate as a cone or bushing barrel, all else being equal.

Looks like barrel bump from where I sit in Nebraska.

6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    ^^This^^ 100% the difference between the "hard fit" barrel in my Baer and the Kart in it when Eric got done with it, are night and day. After fewer rounds than acceptable IMO. Not knocking Les, just a get what you pay for statement from someone who has done both.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I don't have to with my 1911A1NM. The guy who built ought to have been thrashed soundly. The leg to slide stop wasn't right, I didn't catch it and one of the legs broke. That's hours to clear it and than more to put another barrel in.

Joe C likes this.
  8. LAMB1911

LAMB1911 JCooperfan

Aug 14, 2013
    Random thoughts
    1. It does seem somewhat shocking that regardless of semi custom or custom shop the number of barrel bump or other “ to the naked eye” issues there are.
    2. Joe replaced a slide stop and bushing along with some other issues That were resolved. Short of replacing the barrel he said, that’s the best I can get it. Probably the second most accurate 1911 I own. Yes I own more than 2
    3.i have come to the conclusion that to avoid these issues be patient, your number will come up. Until then avoid barrel bump by shooting that Glock you never talk about.
    4. Is it just me or did anyone else notice that bmp98 is asking about barrel bmp?
    5. This thread is 31 pages?? Thank you Joe and Chambers team.

Joe C and cundiff5535 like this.
  9. BMP98

BMP98 Member

Mar 29, 2018
    It’s a dang conspiracy!

Joe C likes this.
  10. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Barrel Life Matters

BMP98, Steve B, azpoolguy and 6 others like this.
  11. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    I got into a good convo with a “custom gun” buddy yesterday over the phone. Of all the guns I have, there are just three that I personally would say the barrel fit is spot on. It doesn’t mean the others are bad, inaccurate, or that I don’t like them... it just means that only three came from shops where the builder really took the time and effort to ensure this was done perfectly, and proper. To add to that, until this thread, I don’t think many people actually checked this with any regularity, or even knew how. They just assumed it was done.

I’ve Said it before, I’ll say it again, I’ve learned a whole bunch from Joe over the years, some people might get ass hurt over the fact that Joe has taught people what to look for... and that’s a problem. Not only because it forces them to do a job people are paying big dollars for, but also because being an addict, we deserve what we are paying for!

So glad to have learned so much from this over the years... thanks again @Joe C

12. Nineteen-ElevenObsession

Nineteen-ElevenObsession Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Well, I love my Wilson's. But all this barrel fit talk convinced me to add my name to the contact list for a WMG 9mm last week. Hopefully there's a few coming down the pipe soon. :)

I'm sure once I get one, a .45 will soon follow.

13. vermilionbird

vermilionbird Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2019
    If I did this wrong, let me know but I wanted to put up another datapoint for production guns (didn't have super high expectations going into this, just did this for education!). Colored with black sharpie and racked 50 times.

First up is a Colt 01911C Classic Gov 45:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is my Springfield RO Elite Operator in 45. For what it's worth, I replaced the factory slide stop with a 10-8 Gen 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe C likes this.
  14. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    IMG_20200807_202512~4-01.jpeg

IMG_20200807_202512~3-01.jpeg

Staccato C2 w/ about 2700 rds through it. Used a sharpie, then marked up the image with what my untrained eye can make out.

Looks like some barrel bump on the left (edit: both sides?!), with both legs losing contact bilaterally right in the middle. Further down the front of the legs, closer to the barrel, I'm not sure if those marks are more barrel bump or the recoil master touching the legs.

Curious how easy/hard this is to fix.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    1911 crazed likes this.
  15. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    I think after reading thru this thread multiple times that the fog is starting to lift...maybe.

In reference to the post above does it make sense that a measurement more than .004 would most likely result in barrel bump? In turn a reading of less the .002 would result in riding the link?

16. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Really need to see pictures of it with the marker fresh on the legs first to make a proper determination. Make sure to clean the oil off before putting marker on to keep it from bubbling up also.

Yes and no. It all depends. What I mean is, it is entirely dependent on which way the hole is too big or too small. That's the funny thing about ovals...

17. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    OK now you're just effin' with my head :cry:. Let's assume the oval lengthwise with no increase in width?

18. Beau Etienne

Beau Etienne Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I know it's an echo here, but great job and thanks, Joe. Learned more from these posts of your's that I would have thought possible going in. It took most of the day and it was a day very well spent.

Joe C likes this.
  19. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Just happened upon this thread, sounded like fun...Hand cyled each 50+ times.

a) need to find a matte marker- i ditched about a million pics as it was very hard to capture wear Vs reflection. Maybe thin coat of blue acrylic. Not sure that Sharpie accurately reflects what's going on.
    b) wonder how much Sharpie I was taking off during reassembly/dissassembly wriggling the stop pin through the holes...?
    c) Mr Chambers statements make sense to me , so I'm doing this just for curiosity. At the end of the day I'm afraid I'm not a bullseye shooter and I'm not sure that I have enough patience with the 1911 platform to care about changing anything, (I'm smitten by the Shadow 2 I bought from a member here...)
    Do I think high $$$ guns should be properly put together ? Absolutely, but I long ago accepted that my high end production guns weren't doing anything appreciably better than my not so high end guns, other than look nicer, being slightly more checkered or ball cut... ( flame suit on)
    Sadly, I only own 1 proper "custom" gun and I'll pull that apart later.
    I'll test my highest round count guns later- DW CBOB from '08 20K+, SA Pro 6-8K maybe, Baer UTC, 10K + and Wilson ULC 6-8K.
    Also another couple of Valors , couple of custom Springfields, some factory Kimbers and a Nighthawk- curious to see how they stack up.

RRA with 2"@50yrd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heinie X Springfield CS..

before marking:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]

Guncrafter NN- before marking- seemed to be a lot going on here...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Approx. 480 rds 20200813_025034.jpg 20200813_025023.jpg 20200813_024955.jpg 20200813_024829.jpg I'll take some pix with sharpie and add later

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted